From information on the SPS website, I found the following details.
Proposed projects for the Phase III program include:
• New construction or historic renovation at up to two secondary schools and/or three elementary schools;
• Additions of up to six classrooms and seismic modifications at up to two high schools;
• Academic upgrades at three high schools may be done in conjunction with the additions.
Academic upgrades include:
o Science room upgrades such as new lab tables, demonstration areas and fume hoods;
o Career and Technology spaces such as automotive shop modernizations or new commercial kitchens;
o Visual and Performing Arts spaces such as new auditorium seating, improved acoustics in choral / band / little theater, video production and radio station modernizations.
• Large systematic deferred maintenance backlog items that were identified in the January 2006 Building Condition Survey throughout the District. Some planned examples are:
o Water systems upgrades;
o Modernization to child care facilities to meet current licensing standards;
o Indoor Air quality abatement which may require ceiling tile, carpet or roof replacement;
o Seismic mitigation at schools that have been identified as seismically deficient.
• Installation of synthetic sports turf at up to four sites:
o Up to two sites would be replacement of existing deteriorated synthetic turf with new turf;
o Up to two sites are proposed to convert from native soil / natural turf to a synthetic turf system.
• Technology upgrades throughout the District including hardware replacement, legacy systems and staff training.
Check out the following resources to learn more:
http://www.seattleschools.org/area/facilities/SEPA_Addendum.pdf (district document)
Seattle Post-Intelligencer: Sound Off (a post by a frequent commenter on this blog)
South Seattle Alternative Middle School (plan to make Orca a K-8)
School proposal would erase deficit (relevant mention is of postponing work on Hamilton to BEX III)
A NEW HOME FOR THE NEW SCHOOL AT SOUTH SHORE (page 2 in newsletter)