Remember, however, that a school which is great for you and your children might be a nightmare for someone else, and vice versa. So read and learn from others opinions, but definitely explore the schools and reach conclusions on your own. Take part in as many school tours as possible, and visit the Enrollment Services page on the SPS website for enrollment guides and other information.
Here are a few of my insights about these schools:
- Kimball, Beacon Hill, Maple and Wing Luke are "open concept" schools, with no walls between classrooms. As a result, these schools have strong team teaching and what goes on in the classroom is not secret.
- Maple has won awards this year for increased WASL scores.
- John Muir has an excellent principal and an active group of parents.
- New School at South Shore is one of the best elementary schools in the district, with additional funding, small class sizes, a focus on social justice, a strong principal and an active group of parents.
- Graham Hill has an autism program, a Montessori program, a new principal and a very active group of parents.