Schools Deep-Pocketed Partners

This utterly fascinating article from the NY Times covers many issues in private giving. I almost don't know where to start.

I'll just say that I always wished the Alliance for Education had turned out differently. I thought it was either going to be a fundraising arm for the district or something like what is described in this article, a foundation to oversee giving. I'm not sure I fully understand (despite having read the Alliance's website) how they pick their focus and much the district is involved. Maybe I can get an interview with their new leader (I'm not a journalist, of course, but as an involved parent and blogger maybe he might want to spread the word of what the Alliance's focus and goals are).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Alliance laid off 4 staff members last week, at least 2 fairly senior. Not for cause, as far as I know - I've heard it's to kickstart a leaner organization with some changes in course and/or philosophy.

I went to the fundraising breakfast last month and it was pretty inspiring. Both new director Patrick D'Amelio and keynote speaker Mark Emmert had a more populist message than I would have expected from the Alliance - and Mark Emmert in particular exhorted folks to "opt in" to Seattle Schools beyond just as a philanthropy.

New Alliance, new sup't, new faces on the board, a new focus on public education in Olympia...we could be on the threshold of a great era in Seattle schools. Hope springs eternal!
Anonymous said…
PS - I would love to see an interview of Patrick D'Amelio on this blog - or even a post if he were so inclined. It would be great to hear where the Alliance is headed and how parents and communties can support the effort.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces

First Candidates for Seattle School Board Elections 2023