Interpreting the School Board Election Results

Since Wednesday morning, I have been having conversations with people about the election results. And when it comes to the School Board election results, which are of particular interest to me because I have gotten to know many of the people involved, I have spent a fair amount of time in discussion about the "meaning" of the results.

I didn't find the results a surprise, given the primary results, the buzz, and the media endorsements. But I did find some of the specific numbers and margins of victory surprising. For example, I find the number of votes David Blomstrom received alarming. How could 18,562 people (and still counting) vote for him? Are those the voters who haven't read anything about a candidate and just choose based on name? And the margin of victory of Steve Sundquist over Maria Ramirez also surprises me. Everyone I talked with had high opinions of both of the candidates, and I expected the result to be much closer, although I guess the current general election margin (61% to 39%) is actually smaller than it was in the primary (50% to 23%).

I hope that all three of the intelligent and principled losers in the School Board races---Maria Ramirez, Sally Soriano and Darlene Flynn---will stay active in Seattle School politics. Their activist voices are extremely important to ensure a balance in the discussion about our public schools. (Of course, the same can be said for Brita Butler-Wall and Irene Stewart, who didn't run for re-election.)

To read another person's interpretation of the School Board election results, read former Board member Dick Lilly's piece in Crosscut today, Why voters expelled the Seattle School Board class of 2003.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beth Bakeman wrote, "I find the number of votes David Blomstrom received alarming. How could 18,562 people (and still counting) vote for him?"

Hmmmm...maybe it's because I was the only candidate who spoke the truth. Or perhaps it's because I'm the only candidate who values children and democracy more than Seattle's sham civility.

"Are those the voters who haven't read anything about a candidate and just choose based on name?"

No. Most of the morons vote for morons, like my opponent, "Whorium" Martin-Morris.

"I hope that all three of the intelligent and principled losers in the School Board races---Maria Ramirez, Sally Soriano and Darlene Flynn---will stay active in Seattle School politics."

Sheez, you're just another propagandist.

"Of course, the same can be said for Brita Butler-Wall and Irene Stewart, who didn't run for re-election."

Why don't you praise George Bush and Dick Cheney while you're at it?

"To read another person's interpretation of the School Board election results, read former Board member Dick Lilly's piece in Crosscut today, Why voters expelled the Seattle School Board class of 2003."

So now you're recommending another propaganda piece written by one of Seattle's most prominent media wh*res, Dick Lilly.

People like you shouldn't be allowed near children.

David Blomstrom
www.seattle-mafia.org

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces