Get Involved with a Campaign

I encourage everyone to take an active role in one of the school board campaigns this summer. You can contribute, volunteer, display a yard sign, and talk to your friends and acquaintances about the candidates and the issues.

Two years ago some of the school board campaigns raised and spent a lot of money. It felt wrong to me. I think that school board campaigns should be grassroots efforts.

That said, this blog is a grassroots communication tool and I think it should be available to the campaigns. It's certainly self-serving, but I would be happy to post requests for help from candidates here.

I have tried to be very even-handed about the School Board races on the blog and I intend to continue to be even-handed about them on the blog. If any of the other candidates want to use the blog to ask for volunteers I encourage them to do so. They can add a comment to this post or, if they prefer, I will faithfuly relay their requests in another post.

I hope I haven't abused my privilege here. Even if I were not myself a candidate, I would think it appropriate for the candidates to seek help on this blog and would post their requests for them.

Here's the specific help I need:

1. I need someone to take charge of compliance for me. The biggest part of this job is filling out the Public Disclosure forms.

2. I need someone to help me liason with the various political organizations who work on campaigns - District Democratic Party organizations, labor unions, and other politically active organizations that endorse candidates and do campaign work.

3. I need someone to either run up a quick web site for me or to lend me use of their copy of some web development software (such as FrontPage) so I could do it myself.

These all strike me as excellent projects for students. I'll be looking for other types of help later, but these three things are my current top concerns.

Comments

Beth Bakeman said…
If any other School Board candidates want to become temporary contributors, just contact me: bbakeman@comcast.net.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?