Here is the press release from the District.
The Washington State Department of Commerce awarded grants to school districts for making energy efficient changes. $3.8 million of the $17 million awarded to districts across the state goes to Seattle, where 21 schools will get upgrades. The grants cover about one-third of costs of the changes.
• $1,030,360 for replacing heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and boilers in six schools (out of a total cost of $3,733,800). Those schools are: Arbor Heights, Decatur/Thornton Creek, Graham Hill, Green Lake, Northgate and Schmitz Park elementary schools.
• $749,000 for replacing HVAC systems and controls and to retrofit lighting at Green Lake Elementary School and Ballard High School. (Total cost: $2,445,249)
• $565,800 for replacing HVAC systems/controls and lighting retrofits at Madrona and Pathfinder K-8 schools (Total cost: $2,043,300)
• $513,300 for replacing HVAC system, controls and retrofitting lighting at Viewlands Elementary School. (Total cost $2,043,300)
• $496,565 for replacing HVAC system and controls and lighting retrofits at Lawton Elementary School. (Total cost $2,178,425)
• $457,629 for replacing HVAC system and controls and retrofitting lighting at Hawthorne Elementary School.
• $45,530 for retrofitting lighting in eight school gymnasiums (total cost: 183,530). Those schools are: Whitman, Eckstein, McClure, Meany, Aki Kurose, Mercer and Washington middle schools and Hay Elementary School.
Only a few of these schools, Ballard, Hawthorne, Pathfinder (formerly Cooper), and Madrona, are new or newly renovated buildings. Meany and Viewlands are the only ones caught up in the recent capacity management fiasco. So why doesn't McDonald or Sand Point get this stuff? Why doesn't Old Hay or Rainier View? Who decided which schools get the updated equipment and how was the decision made? Was this a data-based decision or a politically motivated one?
If we have money for this sort of work, then why did the District have to close the Mann building? How much of these new systems will be torn out when some of these buildings are fully renovated with BEX IV?