Here is a list of the Program Placement proposals from the public for the coming year. This list comes from the integrated planning presentation to the Board on 11/30
• Duplicate Salmon Bay at Rainier View, Pinehurst, Roxhill, or Van Asselt
• Duplicate Thornton Creek at Rainier View, Roxhill, or Van Asselt
• Duplicate TOPS at Rainier View, Viewlands, Roxhill, or Van Asselt
• Change language immersion programs from attendance area schools to option schools
• Reopen Fairmount Park with a language immersion program
• Change Montessori programs from attendance area schools to option schools
• Change Van Asselt from a K-5 school to a K-8 school
• Locate a language immersion program at Sand Point
• Relocate elementary APP for north end students; possible locations include McDonald, Wilson-Pacific, Lincoln, John Marshall, etc. Start at Lincoln in Fall 2011. Close an elementary school in the Washington Service Area.
• Relocate elementary Spectrum for the Washington Service Area from John Muir to Madrona K-8; could also provide additional Spectrum capacity for grades 6-8.
• Place an attendance area middle school at Wilson-Pacific; start program at Lincoln in Fall 2011.
• Locate a language immersion program at Wing Luke.
All but one of these proposals came from me.
There are also some Program Placement proposals from the central staff. Among these are:
• New ALO programs (locations TBD)
• New accelerated IB at Ingraham
• ELL at Viewlands
• Move EBOC from John Stanford Int’l School (JSIS) to Viewlands
• International education at Mercer
• International education at Ingraham
• International education at a North-end school (TBD)
• New CTE Skill Center and IBCC at Ingraham
• Re-Purpose Pinehurst building (AS#1)
• Add program (TBD) to Madrona K-8 to boost enrollment
• Add program (TBD) to Rainier Beach to boost enrollment
Here's the timeline for their discussion and determination:
Community Meetings on Transition Plan - November 8 – 16, 2010
Annual Enrollment Report - December 2010
Transition Plan for 2011-12: Introduction - January 5, 2011
Annual Capacity Management Report - January 2011
Transition Plan for 2011‐12: Board Action - January 19, 2011
Superintendent’s Program Placement Decisions - Winter/Spring 2011
Individual School Budget Development - Feb 18 –March 14, 2011
Capacity Management Criteria and Metrics: Introduction - April 6, 2011
Capacity Management Criteria and Metrics: Board Action - May 4, 2011
The person in charge of Program Placement has been changed. It was Courtney Jones. It is now Heather Gilbert.
Program placement decisions are developed and discussed in a private staff committee and decided unilaterally by the superintendent. The Board refuses to exercise any oversight. That's not changing, so there is every reason to believe that program placement will continue to be political, corrupt, and driven by operational expediencies instead of principles, data, and academic priorities.