Nearly every other school who has been searching for a principal as far back as RBHS has found one. It's not for lacking of trying because they did form a search committee and did interviews starting back in early April. But they still haven't announced a principal appointment.
I've served on a principal search committee and it was very structured and, of course, that because you need to be completely fair to each applicant. Same questions, from the same people, etc. The district did an initial screening search to find candidates who would meet the criteria - both from their resume and the screening - to be a principal for SPS.
The main focuses for the committee were these:
- IB Experience
- Experience working in HS with a Diverse Demographics
- Strong Creativity and Vision
- Community Oriented
- A Collaborator
- Good fit for RBHS
Then an e-mail came from the district stating they had to send forward the other 2 candidates because there had to be 3 (I recall this being the case when I was on a search committee and it seemed false because we didn't get that many candidates anyway).
You can imagine that the differing qualities of the rounds made these parents uncomfortable about the process.
They have testified to the Board about this and they have repeatedly asked via e-mails when an announcement would be made. All they seem to get is a lot of vague answers.
Here's what else the PTSA said:
Rainier Beach is a Transformation School. We have passed the first phase of the IB Application and will begin the second phase this Summer. A Principal is needed to keep this moving forward.
It is odd that it has taken this long. It is important for a school to know who their leader is before school ends. It would be great to be able to introduce him or her before school lets out. I have to wonder if they had fired Martin Floe, would it have taken this long to find a replacement for him?
The new appointments (some of these may be repeats):
- Erika Ayer as the new principal for Daniel Bagley Elementary School.
- Anitra Pinchback-Jones becomes principal of Rainier View Elementary
- Kristina Bellamy-McClain as interim principal at Emerson Elementary.
- Amber Jenkins will be an assistant principal at Franklin High School.
- Jim Slaid will be an assistant principal at Ballard High School.
- Meghan Geddes will be an assistant principal at Garfield High School
- Carol Coram will be an assistant principal at Denny International Middle School.
- Dan Golosman will be the assistant principal at Bryant Elementary.
- Dr. Neil Gerrans will be the assistant principal at Lawton Elementary
- Steve Colmus will be the assistant principal at Gatewood Elementary School.*
- Lisa Clayton will be the assistant principal at Pathfinder K-8.
- Sarah Morningstar will be the assistant principal at TOPS K-8
- Jeanne Kuban will be the assistant principal at Kimball Elementary.
*Uh oh, look at this:
Mr. Colmus was the Founding Principal of KIPP TRUTH Academy in Dallas, Texas, one of 99 KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) Schools across the country. Before opening KIPP TRUTH, where he served as principal for seven years, Mr. Colmus completed the KIPP School Leadership Program.