There are two events this week, both on Tuesday.
First there is a required public hearing from 4-4:30 p.m. to hear testimony from the public about raising the amount the district will pay for the Associated Student Body fund. This was previously discussed at Board meetings. I still have not heard the explanation as to why this occurred and where. I may go review the Board meeting tapes to see if I missed something. The Action Report gives all kinds of policies and legal reasons why they can raise the amount but not why. It says this:
Expenditures are now at a higher percentage of the total annual expenditures than in any previous year, and may exceed the original estimate (adopted budget). (bold mine)
They exceeded the budget by more than $200k. How did that happen and when it started and it was apparent they were going over, did anyone do anything?
After that, there is the Board meeting at 4:15 p.m. The speakers list is not up yet so I don't know if it is full (I doubt it). As I stated previously, this is Banda's first appearance as Superintendent and this is usually a less-than-full meeting so it's a good opportunity to have his attention and the Board's.
July is the powerdown month for the district. This is the ideal time that Banda can get the lay of the land.
He can meet heads of departments, ask for overviews/priorities/needs, take input on what his priorities should be from parents/communities that he either meets with or hears from via e-mail or mail. Most important is HR's role in laying out who needs to be hired and in what kind of timeframe that can/should be accomplished. We need permanent hires to get this work done.
So I'll put this to you in case you are thinking of contacting our new superintendent:
What would your recommendation for priorities be to Banda at this moment in time?
- what would be the biggest change you might recommend that you believe would help the most number of children? Math reform? We can't start over (no money, no time) but what about a quicker waiver process or no mental cap by staff on the number of waivers?
- what is your biggest worry for when school starts in the fall? Transportation? Overcrowding?
- what would you tell Banda and the Board about selling BEX IV? Some of you have said certain things would make you vote against it - what would change your mind?
- what would you tell Banda to do to unite our district (a la John Stanford) or is that important?
- what program/issue do you think gets undue attention?
- is the biggest academic problem the math program? Is our biggest logistics problem overcrowding?
- what three things would you tell Banda if you could meet with him privately?