Monday, October 05, 2015

Were You Ever 13? Do You Have (or Will Have) a 13-Year Old?

CNN is broadcasting a special report tonight, "Being 13: Inside Secret World of Teens."  I'll have to Tivo this one.  It's on at 9 pm EST (but CNN tends to have repeats of these things). 

It could be interesting.  It could be painful.  It could be eye-rolling.  I have no doubt that all of it is the reality of teens today (including this line):
"I would rather not eat for a week than get my phone taken away. It's really bad," said Gia, a13-year-old. "I literally feel like I'm going to die."
Sound familiar?

FYI, there is a very good film called, coincidentally, Thirteen, that is a semi-autobiographical film by Catherine Hardwicke.  I recommend it for parents of 13-year old girls.  It is, by turns, funny and scary and you should watch it (before your daughter does and gets ideas). 

No comments: