The first one, starting at 4:30 pm is the regular C&I meeting and the other, starting at 6 pm, is a Committee Meeting of the Whole.
Why is the Committee Meeting of the Whole happening? Because they are going to discuss Policy A01.00, Instructional Philosophy, which is a huge policy for teaching and learning for the district.
The opening paragraph is the aspirational part of what SPS and the Board want for students.
Achievement of this goal will be reached through the following:
So what's the issue? I'm not sure but I don't think this is just some regular "clean-up" of policy that has been on-going over the last several years.
Student success will come through a concerted effort towards these goals by district professionals, school board members, students, families, community partners, and elected leadership.
- Maintenance of high academic standards for all students, and high expectations by all staff;
- A rigorous curriculum aligned to college and career readiness standards at all schools and in all programs;
- Effective teaching, measurable outcomes, ongoing assessment, professional development and continuous improvement at the student, school, and district levels;
- Programs designed to promote the full development of each student’s capabilities, including social/emotional capabilities, to ensure that all students can meet or exceed college ready standards in addition to state and district performance standards, regardless of the student’s skills upon entering school;
- Programs designed to provide a broad based education in areas not measured by standardized tests, such as music and visual and performing arts;
- An expectation that all students will demonstrate critical thinking skills, will communicate effectively with words, numbers, visuals, sounds and symbols, will use technology effectively, and will achieve at levels that meet or exceed college readiness and state performance standards, thus eliminating any achievement gap.
In addition to community collaboration and family commitment, quality leadership, effective academic support structures, and efficient operations are key enablers of student success.
What is more specific is the next policy in this block of policies, Performance Management. So if you change one, the other might change as well. (This is all under the heading of Philosophy and Goals and it includes Ensuring Educational and Racial Equity.)
This could be interesting.