Superintendent of Public Instruction Randy Dorn will conduct an election in November 2016 for one position on the State Board of Education: Western Region Position 4. The position is a four-year term beginning the second Monday in January 2017.
The State Board is composed of 16 members:
- two members from the eastern region of the state, elected by public school directors;
- three members from the western region, elected by public school directors;
- one member, at large, elected by approved private schools;
- the superintendent of public instruction;
- seven members appointed by the governor; and
- two student representatives selected by the state board itself.
The State Board of Education helps develop programs that prepare each student for the future. It provides leadership, support and advocacy, through policy, to help each student achieve success in school and life.
Membership on the board requires a considerable commitment of time for preparation and attendance at various meetings. More information about board service requirements is available through the State Board of Education office in Olympia (360)725-6025, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
All declarations of candidacy and optional biographical data forms must be filed with the state superintendent’s office in Olympia by 5:00 p.m. September 30, 2016.
Elected board members will be sworn in at the January 2017 State Board of Education meeting.
Declaration and optional biographical data forms are available through the Administrative Resources website or by mail at:
Administrative Resource Services Superintendent of Public Instruction PO Box 47200 Olympia, WA 98504-7200For further information contact Kristin Murphy, rules coordinator for legal affairs, (360) 725-6133, firstname.lastname@example.org.