Talking Education in Ballard

This from reader CT.  I would go but it's only an hour and I'm sure it will be tightly controlled.  But if you go, let us know what is said.

Oh look! Here's a chance to ask the creators of the "model" charter legislation directly.

http://www.myballard.com/2012/07/16/community-discussion-about-education-this-week/

This week, there will be an opportunity to join a community discussion about local education. Two groups, the Excellent Schools Now Coalition and Stand for Children are posing the question, “If you could change one thing about your school, what would it be?” in a forum at the Ballard Library on Thursday, July 19 from 6 to 7 p.m. They say children are welcome and food will be provided.

From Anne Martens with Stand for Children:

The Excellent Schools Now Coalition and Stand for Children invite you to join parents, teachers, students, and community members like you for a discussion about our schools, our kids, and our future.

This is an intimate discussion about local and statewide education issues, such as access to high-quality early learning programs, teachers and leadership, innovation, and college and career readiness. We are especially excited that Stacy Gillett from the governor’s Office of the Education Ombudsman will be joining us.

RSVP to Brittany Gibson at bgibson@stand.org. Learn more about the event here.

Comments

mirmac1 said…
Besides us malcontents, who GOES to these things?
In the dead of summer? I have no idea.
Anonymous said…
mirmac1 @ 7/16/12 1:49 PM

It has been my observation that there will be many there of the suave in the know set, and they're suave because they obviously know more than you out of the know, know. You can see real big shot in the know types at these kind of events: Sundquist, Maeir, Burgess, DeBell ... are the names of people I've seen.

There will be the sucks ups to the suave who love letting you know that you don't know.

There will be the dupes to the suave and to the suck ups, and, those people are like lots of the everyone else crowd - busy, trying to do the right thing, and actually not comfortable with the Alphabet Soup of Gate$ $uck Up A$tro Turff$ - once they know.

I'll be there,

CousinEddieAndHisDogSnot
seattle citizen said…
I wish I could join you, mirmac, but I'll be outta town.
Tell them that if there were one thing I'd change about my schools (Seattle's - I'm a taxpayer and have a say in the whole district, not just one school) it would be that I would find and eliminate all traces of Big Foundation, Big Business influence and manipulation. I would return OUR schools into OUR hands. So Stand and ESN would certainly be getting walking papers.
mirmac1 said…
Cousin...

All I say is.. wow...!

I'm glad I'm not in the know or a suck up. I know you aren't either. And thanks for going to these contrived functions. I don't think I could behave appropriately, and would require "behavior management".

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces

First Candidates for Seattle School Board Elections 2023