Marking a Terrible Anniversary (But Yes, Life Goes On)

 I grew up with adults (including teachers) telling us to "Remember Pearl Harbor." It was a time when the country united around a common goal and nearly everyone knew someone in that war. In school, it was always mentioned on December 7th. 

Then, in my mid-life, came 9/11. It was just devastating in a way that brings me to tears to this day. I may have mentioned this in past posts on this day but I recall telling my 3rd grader about what happened before I took him to school. He asked me, "Is Papa okay?" because my husband was traveling on business. Luckily my husband had gotten to his destination the day before. He was staying in Germany at a hotel called The Manhattan and in the lobby was a mirrored cutout of the New York skyline, complete with the twin towers. We could only communicate via email and he was gone for days before he could fly back.

I took my son to school and saw the flag at the top of the pole. I found the principal and told him to put it at half-staff right now because there was NO mistaking what was happening. He said the district hadn't told him yet that he should. I really liked that principal but I was disappointed on that day. 

It was also disappointing  - at a time when we WERE united as Americans - for President George W. Bush to tell us to go shopping. He could have asked us to do anything and yet, that was it. 

I urge you adults to sit down and write an account of where you were that day and what you experienced. It is American history as well as your family's history. Your kid's children might want to know what you did on that day. 


As for life going on, I want to wish my Jewish readers a good and fulfilling Rosh Hashanah which starts tonight at sunset. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Nepotism in Seattle Schools

Kindergarten Sibling Waitlists Explained