Public Hearing On Operations and BTA III Levies

The Public Hearing for the Operations and BTA III levies is tonight at 6 p.m. at the district headquarters. There are 40 spots and 5 people (including me) signed up to speak. (I'm thinking it'll be an early evening.) These levies have huge ramifications for our district so it's important to at least be thinking about them.

You are likely to be hearing from your PTA (or PTSA) soon on these levies. Many PTAs do donate to the levy fund, Schools First. I am hoping to be able to make a presentation to some PTAs on the BTA III levy so if you are a PTA leader, you might be hearing from me.

I am hoping that the Board does make some good faith efforts to show both parents and taxpayers that they ARE going to hold staff accountable for the state of our facilities and the capital money that is spent on them. If not, then it is likely that there is going to be active opposition to the BTA III levy. The district has many things going against them going into this levy so they have their work cut out for them. Just saying, "It's for the kids" is not going to work.

I would like nothing more than to tell the readers of this blog to vote for both levies. I absolutely endorse the Operations levy. I would like to do the same for the BTA III levy but I won't and I can't unless something changes before the levy election.

Comments

Robert said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert said…
S/w related to this...

Supreme Court Sides With State In Dispute With Federal Way Schools
Posted: 8:49 am PST November 12, 2009

The State Supreme Court has issued a ruling that dealt a blow to the Federal Way School District.

Federal Way Schools sued the state in 2006, saying the way it splits money between school districts is unfair and unconstitutional. In 2007, a King County judge ruled in favor of the district.

But in a unanimous ruling issued Thursday, the Supreme Court sided with the state, saying the current system is constitutional.
Maria Ramirez said…
Melissa,
Let me know where you'll be. I'd like to hear your presentation.
Maria.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?