Meet the Candidates to Fill Betty Patu's Seat

There are 12(!) people vying for Patu's seat.  Clearly, the remaining Board members have their work cut out for them.  Of the 12:
- 9 are women
- 3 are men
- At least eight included photos that would indicate that they are people of color.  Five appear to be African-American, one self-identified as Mexican-American, another is bi-racial.
- 7 have or had children in Seattle Public Schools
- Two have/are been teachers
- One has served on a school board before

I would urge the district to check each applicant's address and confirm that they live at the address listed on their application.
 
- Skimming their letters of application, I would say there are five who would seem to know the district fairly well, four maybes and three who do not appear to have had much contact with the district.

The ones who are in the last category - by my measure of needing to know this district fairly well in order to jump right into the work - should probably be quickly omitted by the Board.  Those would be Brittany Williams, Chukundi Salisbury and Brandon Hersey.  (Editor's note: I'm putting Mr. Salisbury in the "maybe" list as his background would be an intriguing choice for the Board.)

Update: If I were on the Board, I would have pause about candidate Sandra Bosley. While Ms. Bosley does have a deep background in SPS as a teacher and administrator, she also sued the district and lost in 2013 over a claim of discrimination against her :
Bosley alleges that, “[b]eginning in 2002 and continuing to the present, " she has "sought over one hundred two distinct employment opportunities in and out of Seattle Public Schools," but has been unsuccessful as a result of discrimination on the basis of race, gender, or age and/or retaliation."
end of update

From the SPS application page:
The letter of interest and relevant experience information below was submitted by the candidate through an online form. Because we are committed to publishing a website that is accessible to all our readers including those who need ADA accommodations and language translations, we have not published PDF documents such as resumes the candidates may have submitted during the application process.
I think there are some very good candidates in this group of applications.  I'm going to do a deep dive and come up with more information as well as my top three choices.
You can learn more about the candidates on August 7, 6 - 9 p.m. at the Public Candidate District VII Forum at  school library. All candidates will have the opportunity to share why they are interested in serving on the Seattle School Board. Questions from community will depend upon the number of candidates.

For those that can’t attend in person, the forum will be filmed and  and YouTube. A will run for the duration of the event. Translation supports will be provided in Spanish, Somali, Chinese, and Vietnamese as well as American Sign Language. If there are additional translation needs, please call Translation and Interpretation Services at: 206-252-0070 or .

Comments

Anonymous said…
i support patu. thanks for the hard work both before and during the board. you rock. i found you to be one of the most unbiased votes on the board. hopefully the board replaces you with the same.

harris too.


surprised dewolf didn't toss his hat in the ring. think of that city council and two board seats. claim you live in the homeless shelter and you can go to any hs. he claims he helps the homeless er go... he can claim two addresses. it's not like he does anything anyway. two seats would equal 2 x 0 work. so none.

and what is going on with husband / wife school board candidates? have they realized how stupid that was? didn't miss him last year but easy enough to ignore him this year.


no caps

Anonymous said…
I've been impressed by many of JvA's comments posted on this blog over the past couple years. From what I can tell, JvA would be a great Patu replacement!

HF

My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces