Quite a week to come.
Monday, Dec. 8th
Curriculum & Instruction Committee meeting, 4:30-6:30 pm. Agenda
It would appear to be a two-hour meeting but the agenda is quite slim as well as the time allotted for each item.
Of interest: an update on Special Ed work and "pre-K work" from Early Education head, Cashel Toner. Perhaps this is where she will explain how the new preschool classroom room at Bailey Gatzert likely won't be just for BG area students.
Tuesday, Dec. 9th
Audit & Finance Committee meeting, 4:30-6:30 pm. Agenda
UPDATE: Agenda now attached. Looks like several updates including an issue with the SEC, the WSS (with adjusted Guiding Principles which I have some concerns about), MOA with Africatown (NOT attached as usual, still concerns there), Transportation standards for next year and Title IX and grants updates. Wondering if there will be any mention of the Gates Foundation preschool grant.
End of update.
Community meeting with Director Peaslee at the Northgate Library from 6-7:30 pm.
Wednesday, Dec. 10
Executive Committee meeting from 8:30-10:00 am. Agenda
- discussion of SMART goals for both Board and Superintendent (SMART being the latest - "let's get this right" attempt to matrix and chart performance.)
- an update on the MOU extension for the Alliance of Education. Did this "neutral" meeting with the Board take place? How much more money does the Alliance want to make from the district? Someone please go and take notes.
- presentation about the upcoming Tech Summit in January
Special School Board meeting, 4:30 pm. Agenda
Action Item highlights:
- a double-combo for the issue of permanent superintendent - my recollection is that the Peters/Patu amendment will be considered first and then the main BAR to allow new President Carr to negotiate the contract with Dr. Nyland. I think what will happen will be less than interesting as you will likely hear the issues trotted that were previously stated at the last Board meeting discussion.
The only real question is just exactly what Director Blanford will say. Will he stand up for the principle of community engagement or will he go with the "Nyland's a great guy and we can't lose him" meme?
What is fascinating to me is that I'm not sure the Board knows - for certain - what the general feeling is at JSCEE about the supposed calming of the waters there from Dr. Nyland. I think that's what the SENIOR staff wants the Board to believe but I wish they would go on a walk and talk. I think many in JSCEE would say the same thing that Patu did - it just hasn't been long enough (and he hasn't done enough) for any real opinions to have formed.
- Again, the Technology item which says "discussion and/or action." Kids, time's a wastin'. You need those computers - which apparently will be Dell computers - if you want to meet that spring testing schedule with time for teachers to get up to speed on the usage of these computers.
- Capacity management
- Authorization for Superintendent to sign extension of MOU with the Alliance for Education. This is for an extension until the end of March 2015.
I call a big red flag here. Why an extension and not just a new MOU? Why all this time and drama and secrecy? Something's up, for sure. What's silly about this is that this issue is surely NOT the most important thing the district should be doing with its time.
After those two items, the Board meeting will end and the Board will go into Executive Session. I presume this is to talk about the contract with Superintendent Nyland. One thing I will be disappointed about is if Nyland's salary is higher than Banda's. He has already positioned himself as a caretaker superintendent and I don't see a salary bump for that.
Community meeting about placement of Interagency in the old Queen Anne gym, 6:30 pm in the John Hay Elementary lunchroom/gym. Again, this is for that area and community only.
Friday, Dec 12
BEX Oversight Committee meeting, 8:30-10:30 am, JSCEE, Room 2750.
Saturday, Dec. 13
Community meetings with directors.
Carr - 8:30-10:00 am at Bethany Community Church
Martin-Morris - 10:00- noon at NE Branch Library
Peters - 11 am- 1:00 pm at Magnolia Branch Library