Uncool Moms - Unite!

This article appeared in the Seattle Times via the Washington Post. Here's what happened:

"Jane Hambleton, 48, gained a worshipful parental following after news of a classified ad she had placed in The Des Moines Register was picked up by The Associated Press. The text of the ad:

"OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Sold! Hambleton, a radio DJ in Fort Dodge, Iowa, received some 70 calls from buyers.

And other parents. And emergency-room workers. And school counselors. And scores of others wanting to congratulate her for being so Dirty Harry awesome."

And her son is 19 and she still stuck to her guns! He said the liquor belonged to a "friend" but mom stuck to her guns.

I've gone to some meetings for the Northeast Seattle Coalition to Prevent Underage Drinking and it's been disturbing to hear police officers and counselors say how many parents try to underplay or deny their teen's drinking. Good for this mom.


Comments

Anonymous said…
That's how I grew up in WI. I find it sad that this story is the exception and "news worthy" vs. the norm. I had a party at my parents house just before I turned 18 (drinking age back then). My punishment my parents hauling me around the country in an RV for 4 weeks on "their" trip since they couldn't trust me to be left alone. Looking back, it is too bad I spent the whole trip pouting instead of enjoying Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. Good for this mom!

My sister, still in WI, has 12 and 13 yr old girls. They told her the other kids make fun of them because they have good table manners. UGH!!! Dont' recall that issue growing up!
Anonymous said…
She may have saved his life, or someone else's. Good on her.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces

First Candidates for Seattle School Board Elections 2023