Sending Everyone Holiday Greetings

 We are in the last weeks of 2023. The holidays are upon us and I hope each of you finds some happiness/solace/joy from family and friends and food.

I was going to write one more post before the end of the year about the last school board meeting but nah. There's time enough in the new year. 

I have to say I find it hard to think of a new year coming that I dreaded more than 2024. I'm not even going to try to say it won't be as bad as I think it will be. 

And job one is making sure Trump is not president again. I don't like the other GOP candidates but anyone who think he will be a better president than he was previously is delusional. Yes, I know, he's a big mouth blabber but anyone who is a big mouth blabber with power is generally a dictator. 

I'm still on Twitter and I'm seeing this uptick of Republicans who are actually worried, nay, despondent that Trump will be the candidate. I'm very pleased to see more of them waking up and saying outloud that Trump has been a disaster for their party. (I generally tell them to tell a friend and take back their party but we shall see.)  

Do I think Joe is too old? Well, not compared to Trump. There isn't anyone alive who can look at Biden and look at Trump and say Trump is in better health. 

But Joe would not have been my first choice because I believe younger voters want to believe that there is a better future for them and, for whatever reason, he hasn't communicated that well.

As for Seattle Schools, well, I just learned that there's a new policy that cuts out any snow days because the district will go virtual if there is enough snow to prevent schools from being open. At the Facebook page I saw this on, parents had mixed feelings. On the one hand, if it prevents school going way into June, parents are happy. But other parents recall the pandemic times and said there are too many kids who will get nothing out of it. 

I bring this up because some of those parents asked how they missed giving input or hearing a discussion about this change. Well, that's not SOFG, my friends, and that is what you who have children in SPS are dealing with. 

That's another reason 2024 is going to be problematic; how much further away will this district hold parents at arm's length? We shall see.

Best to you and your families for a safe and happy holiday season.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the Holiday Greetings!

According to SPS Work Session Doc (v.3, 10/17/2023, P12), on one hand, the district is expecting revenue growth next year and the year after, even though the enrollment will be staying around 48,000. On the other hand, the district's Expenses are projected to outpace it by $104M next year and by $129M the year after. SPS is not making any fiscal sense at all.

What does it even mean that this Board "approved the Budget" to close the gap for next year?

You have been the only consistent reporter of the facts as far as what is going on at Seattle Schools District Administration and Board. Your blog discussions have been such blessings to the Seattle communities. (@TheMelWestbrook is also great to read and follow.)

Wish you wonderful Holidays and an interesting new year.

#GoodJournalist



@Good Journalist said…
You make many good points. The district's budget hasn't decreased despite decreasing enrollment.

Thanks for all your work, Melissa. Best wishes for a joyous holiday season and wonderful New York.
JS said…
I heard about the tablet policy from a friend with a K-5 student just the other day. She indicated the teacher told her that "well they'll have their tablets but we're pretty much going to make sure they check in with us so we can count it as a teaching day but we really aren't going to try to do anything".

This is one teacher at one school, but one definitely wonders about just how much value the district will get from this policy in terms of education :)

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?

Upcoming Seattle School Board Candidate Forum