Further Update: I asked about Seattle School District's request for a district waiver for NCLB. (Banda did this back in early July.) I hadn't heard anything and Communications says time is running out for waivers so an answer will likely come in the next week or so. I doubt if the district will get it but if they did, that would be good news.)
- also Dr Nyland is working this week. It is unclear to me whether there is any contract in place (despite me asking the question.)
- info on the Source from the district:
is normally down during the summer, this is not unique to this year.
SOURCE is taken down because schools are not in session, and work is
going on behinds the scenes to 1) complete end of year processing, 2)
implement and update student/academic schedules (which change right up
until the final day) for FY15, and 3) complete
software upgrades to PowerSchool and related applications. As a result,
we take SOURCE down over the summer. The notice that it will be down
for this period of time has been up since before classes ended, and we
always try to leave it up for at least 2 weeks
after classes end.
End of Update.
A few quick updates:
- long-time Communications person, Teresa Wippel, is leaving the district on Friday. I have to say a huge thank-you to her for keeping her sunny disposition and for the patience she has for my many questions throughout the years.
- following up on that departure, with Wippel gone, the person who runs many of the outreach items (calendar, homepage, etc.) is out on medical leave. So that leaves Communications head, Lesley Rogers and BEX Communications head, Tom Redman, to cover communications.
- I did find out that SPS did sponsor the downtown school meeting on Monday; it just didn't make the calendar. (To note: there is another downtown school meeting on August 12th from 6-7:30 pm at the Belltown community Center at 415 Bell Street/5th Ave. It will not include a tour of the Federal Reserve building as did Monday's meeting.)
- About Dr. Nyland, his salary agreement will be posted with the agenda for the Executive Committee meeting on August 13th and voted on at the School Board meeting on August 20th.