Both the Operations and Audit&Finance Committees have meetings tomorrow, Thursday the 13th. In addition, there is also a Work Session. Audit&Finance and Operations both start at 4:30 p.m. and the Work Session on Technology starts at 6:30 pm.
I call this out because Operations and A&F did not have their agendas out until yesterday. Again, I have to smile and wonder. These are very lengthy agendas. There is truly no possible way to cover everything in them except as a brief update. The Board is supposed to use these committee meetings to go over - in detail - issues.
I realize a lot needs to get done but I wonder why these agendas are so lengthy for such a short period of time.
Operations agenda. Items to cover:
- wireless network deployment
- various upgrades/renovations/repairs at several schools
- one item that caught my eye is Olympic Hills where there is a "resolution" about the new construction but also a "resolution regarding racial imbalance for new elementary school at Olympic Hills Elementary." Not sure what that is about.
- ditto for Cedar Park Elementary
-resolution from President Peaslee about flipping grade level start times
- PowerSchools implementation update - this is a Pearson product "student information system"
- school start times update
Audit&Finance agenda. Among items to cover:
- Responses to Open Audit findings from Finance, HR, Teaching and Learning, Operations and Facilities & Capital
- then there's the vague "ratification of Murphy and Associates contract modifications." I believe this may have been the consulting group for the SPS review of technology.
- there's also "authorization to consolidate Dietrich Schmitz Trust Fund." Again, I don't know what this is but I suspect it has to do with Schmitz Park and its association with the Schmitz family. (FYI, Dietrich Schmitz was on the Board for 31 years and president eight times.)s
- the raise for all non-rep employees of Seattle Schools
- enrollment update from Tracy Libros, budget update from Finance and Legislative update