The Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE), the nation’s largest membership organization of Health and Physical Education professionals, announced that Dunn is the Channing Mann Outstanding Physical Education Administrator of the Year.
Among her many accomplishments:
- Forming and leading a district team of Physical Education specialists to write a comprehensive PreK-12 Physical Education Curriculum Guide.
- Partnering with a number of organizations to bring innovative fitness programs into our schools. Some examples include Cascade Bike Club, First Tee Golf, U.S. Tennis Association, Washington Soccer, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Medic One, Cascade Volleyball, and, significantly, the George Pocock Rowing Foundation. Pocock worked with Dunn on an Erg Ed Rowing Program that is being replicated across the country.
- Securing a number of grants and funding to support district programs, such as
- a partnership with the City of Seattle and the Cascade Bike Club for every students in grades 3-5 to receive biking and pedestrian safety instruction starting in fall 2016
- the Partnership for Improving Public Health (PICH) grant for early learning fitness of $204,000 for 2015-18
- the Carol M. White Physical Education for Progress (PEP) grant of $1.6 million for 2011-14
- Leading the task force that developed the district Wellness Policy approved in October 2015, providing equitable access to healthy food and physical activity across all district schools.
- BF Day Elementary
- Broadview-Thomson K-8
- Cleveland STEM High
- Hazel Wolf K-8
- Olympic Hills Elementary
- K-5 STEM at Boren
- Rainier Beach High
- Rainier View Elementary
- Thurgood Marshall Elementary
- Viewlands Elementary
- West Seattle Elementary
- Wing Luke Elementary
What's the good word at your school?