Latest Budget Update
I received this e-mail late last week on the budget process:
Dear Seattle Public Schools Staff Members,
Let me first update you on the highlights of the Wednesday, November 5, Board Finance Committee work session:
· We reviewed the financial results of last fiscal year, which ended August 31, 2008
o SPS ended with a surplus of approximately $5 million more than earlier forecasted
o We showed the board how this additional amount might partially be used to offset the projected FY 2009-10 budget shortfall and fund the cost of building closures
· We recommended a hiring freeze to the board. This is a prudent step to take to ensure we do not increase costs as we attempt to balance the budget.
· We presented several scenarios that showed the board various ways the budget could be balanced. These included a combination of the various approaches that I discussed in my last communication to you on November 5
My next meeting with the Finance Committee will be on Nov. 20. We will continue to refine our approach to balancing the budget and will update the finance committee on our progress.
In the meantime, I would like to invite you to attend any of a series of informal brown bag lunch discussions where we can answer your questions and hear any ideas you may have as we develop our budget. The discussions will be held in the TV Studio in room 3400 at the JSCEE Center. You can either join me in the TV Studio or participate via teleconferencing. The discussions will be broadcast live and you will be able to call in with your questions. I will send details out later on how to call in. Feel free to join me at any of the following times:
· Friday, November 21, from 12:00 to 1:00
· Tuesday, December 2, from 11:30 to 12:30
· Wednesday, December 17, from 12:30 to 1:30
Thank you for your continued efforts to bring excellence to every school in our district.