Discussion of APP has started to take over a couple of threads, so I decided to give it a thread of its own since APP is not of general interest.
Items for discussion:
1) Did the District draw the Garfield attendance area the right size - once they have disbursed high school APP. The overcrowding until then will drive the political support they need to disburse the program, as will their "academic assurances" that every high school will have some minimum set of AP or IB classes.
--by the way, has anyone seen any document that provides a definitive list of these academic assurances?--
2) Does the promised APP curriculum exist and has it been implemented? When the District split elementary and middle school APP, they promised to implement an aligned, written, taught and tested curriculum for APP concurrent with the split. They were supposed to have this curriculum up and running a year ago. They did not. Do they have it now?
3) How is the elementary split working out? Have relations between the co-located programs at Thurgood Marshall settled into a positive merger? Have there been benefits for each of the communities? To what extent have the schools each formed a single community across programs and to what extent are the schools divided? How are the two locations similar and different? Lowell is a much bigger program, isn't it? Are there a lot of split grade classes at each school? Do the teachers get time to collaborate between the two schools?
4) How is the middle school split working out? Can students get the classes they want? Do the APP teachers get time to collaborate with those at the other school?
5) The annual Program Placement process will soon begin again. Are north-end APP families interested in seeing the north-end elementary program moved north of the Ship Canal? (Joke: How do you get from Ballard to Capitol Hill? You don't.) Are there some locations that would be preferred and some that would be unacceptable? How about McDonald? How about John Marshall? How about Wilson-Pacific? How about Lincoln? Are there other locations that should be considered?
I suspect there may be other APP issues, but these will do for now.