Jerry is a great guy who has been working for the city on early education for at least ten years and probably longer. I see him from time to time at education events and I know that he's a straight shooter. He wrote back to me answering all of my questions about the group.
"Education Leadership Team (ELT) is an informal leadership group convened by Mayor Mike McGinn. It has no official functions or duties and was not established by City ordinance or resolution. The broad goal of the ELT is to improve education and student outcomes; the team is focused on early learning, K-12, and higher education, which includes universities, community and technical colleges, and apprenticeship programs.
The idea for the ELT came out of a Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce Leadership retreat in October 2010. Mayor McGinn, along with then Chamber President Phil Bussey, and Seattle Community College District Chancellor Dr. Jill Wakefield invited other leaders to form an Education Leadership Team. Current ELT members:
- Mayor McGinn
- Superintendent José Banda – Seattle Public Schools
- Maud Daudon – Chamber of Commerce
- David Bley – Gates Foundation
- Brad Smith, represented by Jane Broom – Microsoft
- Norm Rice – The Seattle Foundation
- David Frieboth, M.L. King Labor Council, AFL-CIO
- Jon Fine – United Way of King County
- David Rolf – SEIU 775
- UW President Michael Young represented byTom Stritikus – UW College of Education
- Jill Wakefield – Seattle Community College District
- City Councilmember Tim Burgess
The group next meets tomorrow, Friday, September 14, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m., City Hall, 7th Floor, in the Norman B. Rice Conference Room. So far as I know, anyone who wants to sit in on the meeting will not be excluded.