From the district:
We are collaborating with schools, providers, partners and families as we work through the complexities associated with the capacity management challenges we face as a community and their potential effect on child care, preschool providers and families.
As of February 3, 2016, the following provider sites have been notified that they need to make alternative plans for the upcoming school year. The dedicated space they have been using is needed for a K-5 classroom in 2016-17.
We anticipate that all providers notified will need to move from their dedicated space by July 1, 2016.
- Adams Elementary (will affect before and after school child care)
- Daniel Bagley Elementary (will affect before and after school child care)
- Bryant Elementary (will affect before and after school child care)
- Coe Elementary (will affect preschool)
- Hawthorne Elementary (two classrooms; will affect both preschool and before and after school child care)
- Madrona K-8 (will affect before and after school child care)
- Maple Elementary (will affect both preschool and before and after school child care)
Next StepsOver the next few weeks the district will be working with the school site, principal, and providers to review any possible space in the school that will work for before and after school care.
Our intent is to preserve onsite child care whenever possible. We are hopeful that we may be able to find multi-use space (e.g. gyms and cafeterias) within our buildings that is licensable and will work for our child care providers.
Preschool requires dedicated space during the school day so our solutions are very limited, but we will work closely with the city's Department of Education and Early Learning (DEEL) to support providers as they transition services into any potential community sites.
In the days ahead, we recommend families communicate directly with their providers to receive the most up to date information about the status of their program for the 2016-17 school year.