SPS is working on the Family Survey and are considering some new questions to add to it. They would like your input but please get this back to them by the end of this week.
Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
I applaud the district in asking for this input.
My input is that I find some questions quite broad (see first section #1). Is it the district's job to prepare a child "for the future?" I'd like to see that kind of language tightened up to "to continue onto a career path and/or higher education?"
Same section #5 - I'd add "fair and equitable" to make sure that discipline is meted out in similar ways.
Same section #6 - I'd have to know what a "supportive academic environment" looks like because I think different parents would have different ideas in their mind.
Under Parent/Family Knowledge and Confidence, #23, I'd add "I know special programs available at my school or in the district and how to access them to help my child.
District Satisfaction - here's the question
The district provides a good education that prepares children to be successful in college, career and life
I would take out "life" as I don't know that any school/district has the responsibility for "life." I think educating kids to launch to a career path/college and ability to be a good citizen is enough. "Life" seems more the domain of parents.
Start of Survey
SPS Family Survey Questions (w/ Draft Changes for 2015-16)
Working Draft as of February 4, 2016
School Educational Quality
1. The school is preparing my child well for the future
2. Teachers and staff at school care a lot about my child's academic success and personal well-being
3. Teachers at my school do a good job meeting the specific learning needs of my child
4. The school does a good job sharing information about my child's academic progress
5. The school’s approach to student discipline is fair (*NEW*)
6. The school provides a supportive academic environment for my child (*NEW*)
7. The school provides a positive social and emotional environment for my child (*NEW*)
Welcoming and Culturally-Responsive School Climate ***
8. My child is treated with as much respect as other students
9. I am greeted warmly when I call or visit the school
10. My home culture and home language are valued by the school
11. The school has successfully overcome cultural barriers between staff and families
12. Teachers and staff at school are knowledgeable and respectful of different cultures and races
13. I feel my child is safe at school
Parent/Family Influence and Decision-Making ***
14. I have opportunities to influence what happens at the school
15. The school partners with families to improve the learning environment at school
16. The school encourages feedback from parents and the community
17. The school is responsive to the input and concerns of families
18. The school reaches out to families when decisions important to families need to be made
19. There is at least one adult in this school I can talk to if I have a concern
Parent/Family Knowledge and Confidence ***
20. I feel confident discussing my child's education with teachers at school
21. I feel confident in my ability to support my child’s learning at home
22. I know community resources that are available to help my child
23. I know special programs available at school or the district to help my child
24. I know what my child will learn this year at school
25. The district central office is responsive to the input and concerns of families
26. It is easy to find useful information on the district website
27. The district reaches out to parents when decisions important to families need to be made
28. The district provides a good education that prepares children to be successful in college, career and life (*NEW*)
29. Communications from the district central office are clear, timely and informative (*NEW*)
30. I receive effective service and support when I call or visit the district administration or central office (*NEW*)
31. The district does a good job engaging the community about issues and concerns that matter to my family (*NEW*)
Open-Ended Response Questions (*NEW*)
Open #1. Please explain your answer to the last question (#31) above (*NEW*)
Open #2. Please provide any feedback to help us improve your child’s school (*NEW*)
Open #3: Is there anything else on your mind you would like to share with the district? (*NEW*)
*** Items in these categories borrowed or adapted from the Road Map
Family Engagement Survey developed for and by districts, community
organizations, funders, and community leaders with the Equitable
Parent-School Collaboration Project at the University of Washington