Quick Update About TOPS Start Time

I pointed out recently that in the SPS calendar, there were two school start times that were incorrect. It says that all the K-8s start at 8:20 a.m. Now we here know that it's not so; TOPS and Salmon Bay have a different start time.

I had called around at the district yesterday, trying to find out how this happened but I got a very irritated person in Transportation saying the calendars were not their doing. I spoke to someone in Communications who said they would have Tom Bishop of Transportation call me back.

I pointed this at to the Board, both in an e-mail and at the Board meeting. I told them, "One thing you need to get right is the time you expect parents to have their child at school."

I ran into Mr. Bishop as I left the Board meeting. He explained that yes, two K-8s don't start at the same time as the others. He seemed very calm and not a whole lot concerned. I told him the calendar reflected that they all start at the same time. He said thanks for telling him about it.'

Who proofread this thing and okayed the calendar? I can only find out it was in Communications.

Did the SPS website reflect anything about this today? No, I guess the district believes/knows that all the Salmon Bay and TOPS parents, including the new parents, know their school's start time.

Except I checked and the pdf of the start/end times of schools on the SPS home page says that TOPS starts at 9:05. The SPS webpage for TOPS says 9:05. But the TOPS webpage says 9:10 first bell and 9:15 start. I called TOPS and told this to the woman in the office. She was a bit confused, checked with someone and said no, their first bell is at 9:10 and school starts at 9:15. She thanked me for pointing it out.

I have no idea what the real start time is for TOPS but I'm sure it'll all get ironed out, albeit with a bit of confusion, in the first couple of days of school.

On the upside, it looks like Salmon Bay starts at 9:05; it says it at both the pdf and the SPS website. The Salmon Bay website is months old so there is no update on their start time there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces