Where to Start?

So I have lots to report on; BTA III Work Session, School Board meeting (well, not so much as I didn't really stay but I can say there were no School Board candidates there except Mary Bass; must be home watching tv), Transportation audit, Maintenance audit, Capital program audit by the State Auditor but no, they must all wait because of the magazine I picked up today.

This month's Seattle Woman features something of "The Women Of Seattle Public Schools" and the cover is, naturally, Dr. Goodloe-Johnson with features on Tracy Libros (Enrollment), Susan Enfield (CAO) and Cathy Thompson (Executive Director of Curriculum and Instruction which seems something of an overlap with Susan Enfield).

The cover title: Seattle Superintendent Maria Goodloe-Johnson & her changing district.

First, great to let people know who is leading the district so I'm not complaining about the publicity. However, there are so many errors (mostly small but still), it was hard to read without wondering if the author, Karen Rathe, had done her homework.

In the piece on Dr. Goodloe-Johnson, Ms. Rathe says of the SAP:

"Also driving this sea change are cultural and demographic issues. The data repeatedly show that “families want neighborhood schools,” says the superintendent, who believes in using research to guide decisions. The process will be easy for families to understand."

I'd like to see "the data" that Dr. Goodloe-Johnson used. Because for every parent who says "neighborhood schools", I'll find you one who says "choice". And the process will be easy to understand? C'mon, it's an all new SAP, there's going to be a learning curve.

Describing the process of tours:

"Each winter during open enrollment, schools would gear up for tours. The result often felt like a kind of sorority rush in which teachers, administrators and parent volunteers worked to make a good impression on prospective parents."

I found this funny for two reasons. First, show of hands; how many of you have been through sorority rush? How many even know what it is? (Good to know their audience.) Second, are tours really going to become less important for schools because of the SAP? That's an interesting outcome to contemplate for a new SAP and we'll have to see what happens during the enrollment period. I almost think it might be worse because every school who isn't full will have to work overtime to try to get parents to tours.

What else does Ms. Rathe get wrong?
  • Center School is called an alternative school. It is not. It is a non-traditional school and there is a difference. It was not started by parents and did not create its own focus.
  • She says the tiebreakers are going to be used for the open seats at schools that are not filled. They are not. The tiebreakers are for overenrolled schools. She also says the tiebreakers are "to determine who gets into schools with all-city draws". Only for sibs.
  • "Five schools will continue as international schools — so-called because of their language-immersion programs — including Beacon Hill and Concord elementaries, and Denny Middle School. And Chief Sealth High School offers the rigorous International Baccalaureate program." Continue? Denny is just coming on-line and Sealth is not the only IB school.
  • About school closures, "While predicted to save millions, these moves traumatized hundreds of families and staff. (It must have been affirming, a month or so after the board passed these difficult changes, to have the Gates Foundation announce it was giving the district $7.2 million.)" Now I don't count this as wrong but to say closing schools must have pleased the Gates Foundation seems an odd outcome to be happy about. I'd be happier if the district tried to please the Legislature but that's clearly not their goal as they continue to ignore at least half of what the State Auditor tells them they should do.
The last paragraph to comment on in the piece on Dr. G-J is this:

"Managing this much change, this fast, in economically and ethnically diverse Seattle (and don’t forget the recession) requires exceptional leadership talent that encompasses vision, tenacity, communication skills and — perhaps most important — the ability to motivate and inspire others. "

First, if I didn't know better I'd think either SPS communications wrote this or the Alliance did. And communication skills? Of all the things to praise either Dr. G-J or the district about, communication is not one of them. I can say that many things the district does do to motivate me but I don't think that's what Ms. Rathe meant.

And a quote from Charlie:

“When you’re working to be a change agent and asking people to abandon everything they’ve known, it’s frightening; you have to work with patience and enthusiasm,” he says.


Ms. Enfield's piece also had some interesting reading.

"In her new position, Enfield essentially manages the district’s schools, including the highly visible job of setting policy on curriculum, teaching and testing."

I'm sure Don Kennedy is breathing a big sigh of relief that in his job as COO/CFO, he no longer has to manage the schools. What? I think she's the academic leader for the district (although as I said above, what is it that Cathy Thompson is doing?). I hope she's the academic leader for the district.

"Enfield also doubled the number of students enrolled in AP classes in Vancouver. “We took down the barriers,” she says. “Instead of a test, if you were interested and showed commitment, with instructor OK you could enroll in the class.” Information was provided to parents about expectations so students could be successful.

But wouldn't having a wider range of capabilities in an AP classroom make it less challenging? Enfield says AP classes must meet national standards, and the district will not reduce the rigor. “Providing more access doesn’t mean diluting,” she says."

Great except that I don't know any AP classes here that you have to test into (some need prerequisites but not a test). Not diluting? Well, the jury is still out on whether the AP Human Geography class that Roosevelt requires all sophomores to take (which is really a one-semester class but is stretched over the year at RHS) is diluted or not.

In the piece on Cathy Thompson, it's explained that this position is new and created to support the Strategic Plan. (I thought we didn't hire anyone new at headquarters and yet all these new people keep popping up.)

"She defines alignment as “quality control.” Most surrounding school districts already have this in place, she says, and the goal is not “standardization,” but aligning learning goals so that all students at a given grade level are taught the same general material. “We’d never tell the teachers what to do,” Thompson says. “Part of alignment work is making sure students aren’t reading the same book three years in a row.” For now, curriculum alignment efforts are aimed at math and science at the high school level."

Quality control? Interesting. Are the teachers to be assessed in this? Because that's the surest way to measure quality. It seems it may be more about equity than quality. And I love that; "not the same book three years in a row" and "we'd never tell teachers what to do". Except that the district will create a single book list and tell them to pick. Also, the curriculum alignment efforts are now in LA, not math or science. That's to come.

On the Tracy Libros piece, Tracy says a curious thing:

"In Ballard, there has been much ado about the northern boundary of Ballard High being drawn at NW 67th Street, the northern edge of the school. Then it was said to be set at NW 85th. “These rumors seem to spring from nowhere,” says Tracy Libros, who is head of Seattle Public Schools’ Enrollment and Planning Services."

C'mon Tracy, these people see the writing on the wall (and not just in the bathrooms at Ballard). No new high school for Magnolia/Queen Anne? Those kids have to go someplace and Ballard High only has so much room.

Last, I found this answer from an exit interview that Dr. G-J did with the Charleston Courier-Post - there's some irony here:

"Let's talk about failing schools. We should not be in a situation anywhere where kids are not given what they need because they don't have parents who have voice or who have political clout or come to school board meetings and make noise. We have a responsibility to ensure that poor kids, that black kids are educated well. We shouldn't have the kinds of divides that we do. And that's all about people not having voice. Just think about, if everybody had voice, how different the school district would be. Because people would not have sat back and settled for things. Or, people wouldn't allow for schools — why do we allow schools to fail for 10 years and then fight to keep the structure? Help! I just want to scream! Don't fight for failure. Fight for what's right for kids. Fight for excellence. Fight to be at the table to be a part of the conversation. Nobody is enslaved anymore. This is 2007. You can go and do anything you want to."

Parents don't have a voice? Political clout? Fight to be at the table to be a part of the conversation? Thank you for the invitation, Dr. Goodloe-Johnson.

Comments

Ananda said…
Not quite correct, Wilson Chin was there.
Ah, I didn't stay a long time; he must have come in after me.
Huh ?? said…
I am exhausted by the continual stream of negativity on this site. Lots of criticism and rare compliments or credit for things going well. I applaud the effort to hold our leaders accountable, but so much cynacism, lots of cattyness (sp?) It's overwhelming and the good nuggets get lost. A shame really.
seattle citizen said…
KPM, Melissa addresses your complaint about negativity (!)in the next thread, but hree I will only say, yea for critique! Yea for bird-dogging what's perceived as bad policy, bad planning, bad data!
What's good is good, and yes, it should be celebrated. But its the things that aren't so good that draw our attention because they NEED attention.
seattle citizen said…
KPM,
If I'm not mistaken this is the first time you've posted. This IS a discussion, feel free to add comments (positive or otherwise). To merely snipe from the sidelines in your very first post seems disrespectful of those of us who, rightly or wrongly, continually contribute to this discussion. Furthermore, many of these contributors spend hours and hours not just posting, but actually attending various and sundry meetings, emailing staff, pursuing research...Let's celebrate THAT!
Charlie Mas said…
The wonderful thing about an un-moderated blog like this is that you can contribute to making it whatever you want it to be.

If you want it to be about the damage caused by reform math, you can write comments about that.

If you want it to be about innovative ways to think about public education, you can write comments about that.

If you want it to be about all of the good things happening in Seattle Public Schools, you can write comments about that.

The blog is what the readers/commenters make it.

And, as always, I am struck by the irony of people sitting in their cars on busy streets complaining about the traffic and the irony of people complaining about people who complain.

Here's a good rule of thumb:

If you offer a solution, you're making a legitimate complaint. If you don't offer a solution, you're just whining.
SPS mom said…
I encourage everyone to read the full article in the Post and Courier:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2007/jun/14/pointed_words_good_feelings/

Then proceed to the Strategic Plan appendices (pg 32-33) for an explanation of the "happy talk" about SPS that's been spoon fed to the media for the past few years.

http://www.seattleschools.org/area/strategicplan/SPS_Strategic_Plan_2008_Appendices.pdf

"Be more aggressive in pitching positive stories to the media" and "Capitalize on back-to-school month"

You just have to be skeptical when the appearance of success seems to take precedence over authentic success.
Dorothy Neville said…
Regarding AP and rigor and inclusion.

This is of course an issue discussed widely in education. Jay Mathews, who has written more about AP than perhaps anyone, and is a strong champion, told me in email that studies show as long as students are required to take the exam opening AP to more kids does not dilute the course.
Sue said…
I like the idea of expanding AP offerings, but do not like Roosevelt's model of forcing everyone in tenth grade into the class.

I think folks do better if they are interested in the subject matter. If they are forced into the class, in a subject they have no interest in, it kind of sets them up to fail, doesn't it?

However, I think the issue is how does the district encourage students who have not traditionally taken an AP class, to try one, if their instructor finds them capable? How do you overcome what could perhaps be societal and cultural prejudice about AP?

I do think we need to expand number of students in AP, but we need to do it in a way that maintains the rigor. I suppose that is the million dollar question that Susan Enfield will be dealing with right?
Huh ?? said…
Well, I guess I shouldn’t be posting at midnight b/c I'm tired and cranky and didn't finesse my language like I should have. So, to that end, I try again. (despite the fact that today's lollipops and rainbows post could easily be construed as a smarmy retort to my comment …. I get it, it was "ironic", but it pretty much proved my point - just look at the labels)

I have read the blog for a while but not commented. That my first comment is an expression of frustration with the way information can be presented, I disagree that it's a snipe, but that could be subject to opinion. I have attended board meetings and work sessions over the years and that’s not where I choose to invest my "hours and hours" of volunteer time. I log my "hours and hours" in our school, on the PTA, in fundraisers, working in class, community outreach etc. I am very grateful for people that do attend and report on the goings on of SDS and if I implied I'm not appreciative of that investment, I apologize. My only point was the manner and tone in which info is communicated.

Clearly I do not speak for all parents or followers of this blog. I do know though that there are some blog followers, who, like me, are informed parents/citizens and who struggle with following the blog (and don't comment either b/c of the potential backlash) b/c the posts seem antagonistic (I called it negative earlier, still searching for just the right word - not sure either is...) I think it's ok to see/report on the good and that doesn’t undermine the fact that there are still issues to be addressed, improvements to be made, and bird dogging to be done. I don't think it dilutes that message. I had a friend write off the blog because it was "all rant, no rave" (if you read that in the Times) and I don’t agree w/ the sweeping nature of that characterization, but I knew exactly what she meant. And to me, that's too bad because there's so much good information here. The parents to whom I'm referring to above volunteer in school, we vote, we see problems and fix them, we email our reps, we advocate/rally for kids… we're not slouches and we're not sitting in the car complaining about traffic. But we also know there's a middle ground there. It's not all good, not all bad. I thought I'd point it out. My comment could have been more deliberately phrased, and was not directed solely at the posters but the commenters too. Yet the message underlying it is the same.

So if you seek an actual solution or suggestion. Can the on the ground folks attending and reporting on these meetings sometimes post on the progressive steps/ successes/ good things happening in our district?
ParentofThree said…
The issue I had with that article MGJ ignored that many many students are starting this year in new buildings and that there is a fair amount of stress involved. Just a nod to that, would have made her more "human" to me.


I think it would have been a great piece if she just had acknowledged that last year was really stressful for many schools and families. And provide some sort of indicatation that SPS students and parents could rest easy as this year will be much more quiet and predicable.

That was not said, leaves me to wonder if more schools will be closed, programs ended or moved.

But hey, this is the same women who gave herself and "A" in the media for her last review.
Sahila said…
KPM - speaking only for myself, I think my frustration stems from the fact that any good things happening in the SPS District are happening IN SPITE OF the District, not because of it...

So much bungling, ineffectiveness, poor policy making and implementation...

If our kids are doing well, its because of the work being done in the schools - teachers, parents, volunteers, support and admin staff etc - its no thanks to the state (chronic underfunding) or to the District, Super, Staff or Board...

And surely that's a state of affairs that needs to be corrected?
KPM, it was sarcasm for my Sunshine thread, not irony. There is a difference (and one reason why Brits are very funny). (Also, Cynicism not cynacism, cattiness, not cattyness.)

It's funny you pick this piece to call me out for being negative. I was mostly pointing out the flaws in the piece, not the subjects.

It is a shame to work really, really hard on this blog and then, well, you can't please everyone but you certainly can get dinged at will. And yes, I too work long hours in volunteer work (besides writing this blog) - I just spent the last two years as co-president of the Roosevelt PTSA.

I will tell you what I don't like. I don't like people who:

1) pop in her for information they don't get ANYWHERE else (not even from our dear district)

2) don't read all my posts because if anyone looks back, I consistently write about good things happening here as well as provide information on meetings, forums and other items of interest. I'm thinking that some people just don't bother to look. But they are there. Go look if you don't believe me.

3) Don't realize that we don't get paid for this work - it's a bit of a wonky caring about public education thing beyond our own children and many is the time I have said, last night being one, "What the hell am I doing this for when little anonymous snipers can post whatever "nuggets" they want about the writing here?" I don't expect any genuflecting or flowers. If you want to disagree, go ahead. You want to point out that you think there is more good than bad in this district, be my guest. Am I as evenhanded as I could be? Nope but I don't have to. Not with my experience with the district. That's how you get disappointed on a consistent basis.

And lastly, if you don't like the "tone" or the writing here, here's some "solutions".

1) write Beth Bakeman who is the actual owner of this blog and ask to be a contributor (I keep saying this but alas, no takers).

2) go start your own blog; it's pretty easy to start but not so easy to try to keep up with education news and make it accessible and fresh

But don't ever, ever tell me (I won't speak for Charlie) what I should write or how I should write. You go to the meetings and write your own reports, okay?

Don't like this blog or its "tone" - don't read it. It's that simple.

Tired and cranky? Me, too.
dj said…
SPS Mom, I suspect it's because a lot of stress may be placed on families this year when the new SAP lines are drawn. It would be disingenuous to suggest that parents will no longer be put under stress when a lot of people are going to be surprised and disappointed by their school assignment boundaries.
Huh ?? said…
You must be pleased with of yourself then, using sarcasm (a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual) lashing out at me for stating my opinion. Welcome to blog land. In fact, the lollipops piece - while indeed sarcastic - was also ironic b/c you were allegedly listing good things under the guise of putting me in my place and convey how bad life is in the district (where I'm not supposed to voice an opinion.) [verbal irony is when an author says one thing and means something else; the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning]

Whatever. My point was that if one of the goals of the blog is to galvanize folks to work for change in the district, (and maybe it's not, but I thought it was) there are at least a few of us out here who wouldn't mind hearing it differently. That's it. Wasn't directed at this post per se. Wasn't even directed at the authors, but included the comments too (over which I know you have no control.) Getting chastised for expressing an opinion further exemplifies my point. I suppose it's a flaw of the world of blogging.

Thanks for going to the meetings. And reporting. I know it's unpaid. And I bet plenty boring at times. And very important too.
Sahila said…
I must be showing my age.... I grew up in a time and place where talent and skill in discourse and debate were valued highly... In primary school, each of us was given training in elocution, recitation, debating, prepared speech delivery and ad libbing... we were expected to demonstrate our skills as individuals and as part of a group... we had the same training in singing - individually and as a choir. In fact, my school was the choir for a weekly music programme that was broadcast nationally and which all schools listened in to - a really good way to give the kids in schools who did not have their own music programme/teachers at least a taste of music...

And we each took part in London City & Guilds speech and elocution examinations every year, with the examiners coming out (to the colonies) from the UK every year...

We were taught how to use tools such as rhetoric, irony, sarcasm and hyperbole to make salient points...

I find it sad that many people here (on this blog and in this country) dont recognise and understand the use of those tools... the number of times people have gotten upset because I like to use hyperbole to highlight the incongruity or the juxtaposition of contradictory factors/issues/events... so many people cant recognise satire or farce... pity the education system is so lacking.... there is no finesse, elegance, subtlety left...and so many people are calling for more of the same 'dumbing down'...
Sahila said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sahila said…
Oh, and those fine old literary techniques of metaphor and analogy to make clear what one is trying to explain...

So many people dont get that either!

Kinda sad that communication now is so sparse and empty of colour... we get bland 'niceness' or jargon and cliches usually top heavy with mechanistic data rather than living, organic anecdotal evidence
Charlie Mas said…
I read the article in the magazine and while I could point out some inaccuracies in it, I wouldn't.

This was not intended as a piece of hard-hitting investigative journalism. It's not even really intended to be informative. It is clearly intended primarily as entertainment and secondarily to make people who are poorly connected with the District feel a bit more familiar with some of the decision-makers.

I think it's fine for what it is.
Agreed, Charlie. They interviewed these women as leaders in the district and presented them as strong leaders. I think that's fine but yes, it's fine as entertainment and not as news or information. I honestly doubt Seattle Woman wants to be thought of as entertainment first and information second.
Charlie Mas said…
I think Seattle Woman is exactly the sort of thing that you would pick up and read in the waiting room of a pediatric dentist while your kids are getting their flouride treatment. You can put it back down and forget all about it as soon as the kids return with clean teeth and a parachute toy from the treasure chest.
Sahila said…
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/books/30reading.html?_r=1&hp

Not sure where else to put this... put it here because of the reference in the post to standardising curricula, especially LA...

This piece is about teachers/districts in other parts of the country, giving up on the idea of having the whole class read the same book, and on pushing for the classics to be studied...
seattle citizen said…
Sahila,
While I think it is a good idea to encourage, no, actively support individual reading, there is much to be said for everyone reading the same book sometimes.

I went to Evergreen. The focus of just about everything was the book seminar: Everone reads the same passage, book, article etc, highlights the heck out of it, then comes to the seminar table with questions, comments, connections...discussion ensues.

This is not possible with each kid reading his/her own book (unless the books are themed similarly, so discussion focuses on the theme and allusion, perhaps.

Kids won't pick up Moby Dick? Well, Billy Budd is a better book and is much shorter (read "thinner"!) Kids at varying levels can access Billy Budd (OR Moby Dick!) in various ways and contribute all sorts of insights to discussion of it.

Of course, if we then have a standardized test on it, on what knowledge students are supposed to have gained from it, we've got big, big trouble...
Sahila said…
SC - I dont have a personal view on the subject... I see the value in kids working together on a book and the benefits of people all talking about something, taking it to a deep level, touching on many areas of social, political, philosophical concern...

I thought it very interesting that this is where some schools/districts are going and SPS is headed in a much different, more restrictive direction..

And I too wondered what this trend(?) would do to standardised testing!
seattle citizen said…
Sahila,
I'm not quite sure where the district is going on curriculum alignment. There is a meeting on the...24? or something, the sup't said at the board meeting, to further define this.

As I understand recent discussion, there WOULD be some (maybe two per year?) common texts in HS LA. There would probably be, additionally, some common strategies.

I am not at all convinced that this has to be a bad thing. It COULD be, but there is some benefit to SOME common strategies, perhaps also to some common texts.

Of course, citizens CAN make their preferences known, do some research and suggest direction on this issue. The sup't also said at that meeting that she welcomed emails about this.
seattle citizen said…
Without SOME commonality between courses, it is difficult to assess different strategies and guage how well they work.

Some might argue, "doesn't matter: variety is good, even if there is slight differential between classes and "success" rates..."

Some might argue: "It should all be scripted, across the board, for maximum efficiency...

Some might argue for a middle ground: There's some things that just SHOULD be taught, and there are some common strategies to teach these things. As long as teacher and student also have opporunity to vary from the prescribed routines, to explore other pathways that emerge, maybe a little commonality is a good thing: Students have similar strategies to use vertically and horizonally, sometimes have something in common to discuss, strategies are more easily gauged for efficacy...

I think I fall into that camp.
Charlie Mas said…
The commonality should be in the core set of knowledge and skills that the students are expected to acquire.

There is no legitimate purpose in having common texts.

There is no legitimate purpose in having common pedagogy.

There is no legitimate purpose in having common pacing.
adhoc said…
I don't like standardization but I also don't like to much freedom. I like a middle ground.

Our son went to Salmon Bay for 6th grade where they used Reader/Writers Workshop. For their LA reading assignments kids could choose any book they wanted to read. No guidelines. My son would generally choose poorly written, no brainer books, like HALO, and that was just fine with his teacher (after all he was reading, and that was the goal of Readers Workshop). Of course, the teacher had not read most of the books that the 12 year olds were reading, so there was not much meaningful discussion that could happen in class, and certainly no group discussion, or deep analyzation. When it came time to write an essay my son would have trouble doing it because there was not much to extrapolate from the books he was reading.

For 7th grade he went to Kellogg MS in Shoreline. In addition to silent reading for 20 minutes a day where he could read any book of HIS choosing, the class had to read 3 books together - The Outsiders, The Pearl, and California Blue. The teacher was able to assign real, meaningful, thought provoking homework, that truly explored the themes of these books. The class did Socratic seminars, had vibrant discussion, explored many different view points, and learned from one another. He had no trouble doing his book reports.

I'm not a fan of Readers or Writers Workshop. I think they allow way to much freedom, and don't accomplish much more than, well, getting a kid to read. I also think the other extreme, standardization, in which the district mandates which texts are read in what grades, and standardized tests are built around them is equally disturbing.

I like a middle ground. The District can put forth certain criteria that a text should contain to be considered appropriate for a grade and they could even specify say, one tragedy be read in 9th grade, a comedy in 10th, etc. But then I believe they should leave it up to the school, the teacher, or a class vote, to determine what specific text the class will read as a group.

Nathan Hale has a summer reading requirement for all students. They send home a list of some 200(?) books that students can pick from. All great literary works! A student must read one and be prepared for an informal book chat on the first day of school. I like this approach. It keeps kids reading over the summer and is not overwhelming (it is summer after all). It gives kids a list of appropriate books, but the freedom to choose which book on that list interests them! My son read 2 (TWO!)of the books on the list and really liked them both (Maus and The Hunger Games)!

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces