Teacher Appreciation Week

So this week starts Teacher Appreciation Week. I actually don't like the "day" or "week" appreciations; every day is a good day to say thanks if someone has helped you. That said, I'm sure it helps a teacher to know they are making a difference. I think it really helps to personalize it as in saying, "Your ability to see X in my child really lets me know you understand him/her." or "Your kindness on a day that was hard for my child really helped." Sometimes teachers don't know how much their compassion has helped a child over a bad spot so it helps to let them know.

Here are some inspirational quotes about teaching:

“The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.”
Khalil Gibran

“A true disciple shows his appreciation by reaching further than his teacher.”
Aristotle

“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”
William A. Ward

“I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.”
Lilly Tomlin

"Often, when I am reading a good book, I stop and thank my teacher. That is, I used to, until she got an unlisted number. "
Author Unknown

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery. ~Mark Van Doren

and my favorite one that was said by the principal at my son's elementary school:

If you promise not to believe everything your child says happens at school, I'll promise not to believe everything he says happens at home. ~Anonymous Teacher


Thank you Teachers!

Comments

Ludwig Richter said…
Thank you, Melissa. I appreciate the appreciation.
wseadawg said…
Moderation is killing this blog.

Better to suspend posting privileges to those who don't abide by the rules.

I request you reconsider your decision to turn moderation on. Thanks.
Josh Hayes said…
@wseadawg: since it's been turned off, I think it's a moot point.

@Melissa: absolutely! I generally try to bring the teachers at my school (AS1) a treat of some sort during this week, but I bring treats all year long. I think you're right that what would really help would be sincere expressions of thanks. That's MY plan!
seattle said…
I believe moderation has been turned off. See Beth's post on the moderation thread.
Shannon said…
The quote about not believing everything that happens at school is funny if not taken seriously. I confess to a rather literal sensibility and I would like my son's teacher to believe what he says. I would like to believe what my son tells me too.

Its my first year at SPS and of teacher appreciation WEEK. Its a bit overwhelming. I would love to do a little survey about what each school does for teacher appreciation week. Are gifts ok? Do you just send a note? Confused but appreciative.

My WV was "pester".
seattle citizen said…
Shannon, send money.

lol
TechyMom said…
OT: Has anyone heard any word on the school enrollment figures? Harium said they were sent to schools on Friday.
A heartfelt thank-you, either in person or by card is probably good. I like to give small amount Starbucks cards just to give them a little treat for their day.

I don't think it has to be a big deal but letting teachers know that you know how hard their job is and you appreciate their efforts would be great.
K. said…
First, thanks Melissa for the great quotes and appreciation.

Personally, the best form of appreciation is an e-mail or hand-written note from a student or family. I keep every single one.

Thank you, too, to the many families who share kind words throughout the year, or contribute to appreciation events. It really does put smiles on many faces.

Thanks also for helping your students to navigate the homework assignments each day, to find the courage to self-advocate, to learn from successes and miss-steps, to have consideration for others in a learning environment, and to know the purpose and importance of education.
MathTeacher42 said…
Thanks to you the community of involved citizens.

For too many people who get involved in community affairs, through a union or a political party or a PTA or ... who knows what, their concept of democracy kind of runs along the following lines - 'I thought this out, I think this way is the best, this is democracy, everyone listen to me and follow me!'

I've seen over and over and over what democracy and citizenship is REALLY about on this blog.

People disagree, they hash things out and find compromises.
People disagree, they get mad and they fight it out.
People disagree, they get mad and they come back.
People disagree they scream, OR they go quiet, they get mad and take their truckie and go home.

It can get messy ... YAWN ... but it bad when people don't participate, and it is worse when people take their truckie and go home.

IF we humans ever figure out the perfect mathematical formulas to take all of the production of society and perfectly compensate people and perfectly invest and perfectly run every organization, people will still complain and still argue. YAWN.

We'll never out grow The Prince, Richard III, Julius Ceasar, 1984, Animal Farm, Hamlet, Macbeth ... oh well. YAWN.

Thank all of you for participating in the community.

BMM.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?