- The McClure Middle School boys team won first place in the Team Relay Heat of Erg Ed’s Indoor Rowing Championship.
Launched in 2010, Erg Ed is a classroom-based indoor rowing education program operating as part of Seattle Public School's physical education curriculum. In partnership with Seattle Public Schools, Erg Ed is currently provided at 14 middle and K-8 schools across the city.
- With more than 800 pledges, Roosevelt High School let it be known loud and clear that they are against texting and driving. And to celebrate this massive turnout for the "Save it Seattle" campaign, Roosevelt welcomed Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson to their campus March 22.
- The Seattle Public Schools Media Operations Center announces the broadcast of “School Beat” on SPS-TV Cable Channel 26. The first episode began airing (and streaming on the Web) on Tuesday, Feb. 19 (schedule below.)
School Beat TV Schedule:
• Tuesdays – 10:30 a.m.
• Wednesdays – 3:30 p.m.
• Fridays – 7:30 p.m.
• Sundays – 5:30 p.m.
- The kids at Adams Elementary School have a new outdoor classroom space to look forward to – just in time for spring! A neglected interior courtyard space at the school has been converted into an outdoor classroom to provide a practical and pleasant outdoor space for use by teachers and students.
The courtyard classroom project is being funded by the Adams PTA, with support from Seattle Public Schools. The project was envisioned and managed by Schelleen Rathkopf, an Adams parent who recognized the potential and importance of a positive outdoor classroom space.
- The works of two students from Seattle Public Schools will go on to compete in the national level of the Reflections Cultural Arts competition.
• Olivia T., from Loyal Heights Elementary, won Outstanding Interpretation in the Literature/Primary category for Grandpa and Me on the Beach.
• Tigerlily C., from Ingraham High School, won Outstanding Interpretation in the Music/High School category for Look at the Stars.
These two works, and the works of three other Seattle Public Schools students who were selected for recognition at the state level, will be displayed at the Washington State PTA Convention, May 3, 4 and 5 at the Bellevue Hyatt Hotel.
The three other awards are:
• Award of Excellence: Photography/High School - Michelle T. (Nathan Hale) for Whirlwind (below, left)
• Award of Merit: Photography/Middle School - Max H. (Hamilton) for The Sea of Hands (below, right)
• Award of Merit: Dance/High School - Gina L. (Nathan Hale) for Magical Possession