Budget Work Session Today

As previously noted, there is another Budget Work Session today from 4-5:30 pm, just prior to the School Board meeting.

I finally did get a couple of other handouts that were at the previous meeting. One is the Strategic Plan Budget Planning Tool. This breaks out the Strategic Plan by area with areas marked with red, yellow and green for stop, pause, go. ( The other one is one I hadn't seen about per pupil spending at every school. I can't seem to figure out how to make this one link but I'll try to get it up.) I think the item I did link is the most important.

I did e-mail the School Board today with a couple of questions which I asked them all to answer. (I rarely ask for a reply to my e-mails.) What I asked:

1) is there anything the Board, as a whole, has decided that is either on or off the table? For example, at Director Smith-Blum's community meeting she indicated that the Board had decided that sports cuts are off the table. (I found this interesting given it was the top choice that respondents said they could live without.)

2) is there anything you, as a Director, have decided as on or off the table?

3) is there still time for parents and community to talk to you and lobby for items? If so, what is the exact window of time before you will cease making any changes?

I'd like to know where the Board is on the budget so that parents and community know the best way to advocate their ideas/concerns.

I am trying to work with Charlie on what we would put forth to cut in keeping with the desire to keep cuts away from the classroom.

Comments

Jet City mom said…
(I found this interesting given it was the top choice that respondents said they could live without.)

That is interesting,
I don't remember what I put, but sports teams are also supported through the community/churches etc.

Other things that the district offers or should/could offer, aren't as easily replicated.

For instance- alternative schools- my daughter is in a MAT program- doing a autobiographical project & was asking me a lot of questions about my K-12 schooling.

I attended an alternative school in the Lake Washington district & it is still going strong- they even have newspaper articles from the 1970's explaining how it got started.

They are quite proud of options to serve students as well they should be. Too bad we think everyone is the same.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces