I'm attending the Work Session on BEX tomorrow (and hope to attend the community meeting next week).
So what are your burning BEX/Capacity questions? I think I've already heard a few:
- what is your detailed plan for middle school issues in the NE?
- what boundary changes might come for 2013-2014?
- which schools can be renovated on-site versus those that will need an interim site? (BEX staff recently stated at a Board ctm. meeting that they "had" to build with the school community moved but that is just not true in all cases. It certainly isn't true for most districts in the U.S. Most build with the school communities still on-site.
Here's a link to the presentation.
To note; I find the silence from FACMAC kind of interesting. The district hasn't mentioned their input in a long time. However the presentation does say they will be speaking at the Work Session so this should be good.
From the presentation:
- 71% of entry grade students are at their attendance area school.
I would also like to know how many are at option schools so you can see how many are at other attendance area schools.
- Recommended changes: all 5th grade eligible Spectrum students assigned to attendance middle school.
Confusing to me because I thought they were because we have a feeder program already.
- Add West Seattle Elementary attendance area as the GeoZone for K-5 STEM at Boren.
I would guess this is because K-5 STEM (give this school a name for gosh's sakes) is at an interim site.
- add a distance tiebreaker for elementary/middle schools.
Hate this one. Was an issue for the choice plan and I guarantee it will be again.
-Rules for 2013-2014 continue in subsequent years
That IS new because the district website reflects different "permanent" tiebreakers.
They list the sources for funding on page 14 but leave off federal funds. They are out there but someone has to get to our elected officials and ask or write a grant. It is not all levies and state funding.
Hoo-boy, page 15 has a listing of transportation "savings". We've heard this before.
Non-Construction Solutions (not a pretty list)
- Utilize available homerooms
- repurpose PCP/other space or program placement
- maintain transportation grandfathering
- relocate students to annex sites
Since BEX IV planning will require boundary changes, boundary changes for 2013-2014 are not recommended.
I have to go through the rest of it and ponder what it means.