We are forming a joint working group with the Seattle Police Department to study all recommendations for improving our school safety, and this effort will begin early in 2013. Together, we will formulate sustainable plans for implementing improved safety measures across the District.
The security of our students and staff is our highest priority, and we look forward to working with our staff and community partners to implement improved safety measures across the District.
End of update.
I rarely call people names here. Not useful and there are better ways to say you disagree with people.
But head of NRA, Wayne LaPierre - an idiot. Here's what he is saying in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shootings:
- "How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?" Wayne, your group doesn't even support an active national database of gun owners.
- All schools need armed security personnel. He almost makes it sound like a jobs program.
- If there had been an armed person at Sandy Hook, 26 lives would have been saved (I note that Columbine DID have an armed security person. How did that work out?)
- "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", he said. Apparently, NOTHING else matters or can be done.
- To that end, the NRA will fund an initiative to develop a "National School Shield Emergency Response Program" for schools that want it, LaPierre said.
- Schools remain a target for criminal gunmen because they are not protected by armed security the way other important institutions are, he said.
- "There exists in this country, sadly, a callous, corrupt shadow industry that sows violence against its own people," naming games like Grand Theft Auto and films like Natural Born Killers and American Psycho. Uh, Wayne those "shadows" major film companies and entertainments companies whose stock is traded on Wall Street. And, there is no research that truly shows that this violent entertainment creates violence or violent people.
- "A child growing up in America witnesses 16,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence by the time he or she reaches the ripe old age of 18. And throughout it all, too many in our national media … their corporate owners … and their stockholders … act as silent enablers, if not complicit co-conspirators."
- NRA president Dave Keene's somewhat contradictory statement to reporters: 'This is the beginning of a serious conversation. We won’t be taking questions today.'What LaPierre is saying, really, is that we are a nation of crazy people and we should continue to expect these killings and the best way to handle that is to have armed guards at every school.What does that say about our country? Is that who we are? Is this what we accept about ourselves?Where is the notion that we spend money ON the mentally ill, not bring armed guards into every school?Arming schools does NOT solve the problem. That's the issue he misses entirely. So he either dumb or an idiot. I choose the latter.Let's go have a quiet, peaceful and safe holiday and come back in the new year with a renewed sense of getting this right for our schools and our country. I have some suggestions and I'll put them out after the first of the year.