Per the principal's report to parents (which was very detailed and a good review):
- The student who had the device had brought it to school and hid it somewhere in the food court area. Another student saw this, picked it up, put in his backpack and brought it to the front desk. (I appreciate the thought but I wish that reporting student had not picked it up.)
- The school went into Shelter in Place and then the school was evacuated by SPD (as in a fire drill procedure) and attendance was taken outside. The rest of the building got emptied by SFD. The students got cold and were moved to a pavilion to stay warm.
- The students are to have a "debrief" this morning.
- it was a 10th grade boy who brought the Molotov cocktail to school; he was arrested by SPD
- a fellow student saw it in the arrested student's backpack and reported it to staff
- no threats by the would-be bomber were made prior to his arrest
- incident started around 9 am
- entire Armory Center was emptied on advice of SPD and has since reopened
SPS Communications tweeted that The Center School was evacuated this morning around 9:30 am after a student brought a Molotov cocktail to school.
There are no injuries and SPD and SFD are investigating.
Students were sent home for the day.
More to come as I learn more.