No, not the crowd but the people on the dais. Who are they?
To bring you up-to-speed:
- big crowd of Garfield/RHS students in support of Latin
- big crowd of Hay/Coe parents against placement of Interagency
- big crowd of Native American parents/community
- Director Martin-Morris on phone from somewhere
Then, the Superintendent (and staff) went off on a looong tangent about "Program Evaluation and Assessment Annual Report.
1) no program reports - not one. Did School Board speak up? Nope.
2) lengthy report from Tolley, Heath and others that was more like a Work Session. I could not believe how long it went on. Tolley said 10th and 11th graders are taking Smarter Balance test and 10th grade counts for graduation. I will have to ask how they can make 11th graders do this.
McLaren spoke up and said how great Common Core is ("there are quibbles") and it's already approved. I could not believe my ears.
3) Superintendent had remarks about City preschool program, again praising voters and noting he was with Mayor today and there is a "committee" being started with district leaders on it (unclear who). He said that the district needs to help "all our students." News flash: preschoolers that are not Sped are NOT SPS' responsibility. Get State dollars for that and we can talk.
4) He also said parents of students affected by data breach were being contacted "as best we can" electronically. WHAT? They need to send a letter to every single family.
I have also been told that Marty McLaren told SCPTSA should would be voting Yes on the Gates Foundation grant for preschool. I am astonished.
The real beneficiary of an approval of the grant is the City. Not SPS. I can only hope that other Board members vote on fiscal and prudent grounds i.e. get a partnership agreement FIRST.
The biggest shocker? I had read all the attachments for the Gates Foundation grant action item. But somehow I missed (and it was pointed out to me) that Superintendent Nyland signed it...on September 26, 2014.
How this happened and why, I don't know. I think this very wrong.
Just starting Speakers List now.