- We understand the concerns of parents regarding lunch and recess times. This is an issue we are taking seriously and are working to address.
- A Wellness task force has begun looking into the concerns and issues surrounding lunch times throughout the district. The purpose of this 18-month long task force is to examine nutrition, physical education and physical activity.
- The task force will provide recommendations to the superintendent at the end of this time period.
- Creating daily school schedules has become increasingly complex, due to multiple factors and requirements. This includes:
o State Board of Instruction required educational hours
o Recess times
o Teacher/union contract constraints
o Building capacity
o Length of school day
- Schools leaders have reported having at least 20 minute lunches. One main issue being reviewed, is the ‘passing time’ on the way to and from lunch/recess.
Yet ANOTHER taskforce and they have 18-months to do their work.
Also from district communications:
SPS Task Force for Prevention and Response to Sexual Harrassment formed
The Seattle Public Schools Task Force for Prevention and Response to Sexual Harassment has officially formed and scheduled its first meeting to begin conducting a comprehensive review of the district’s policy and procedures to prevent and respond to instances of sexual harassment (including sexual assault).The current task force members are:
- Rebecca Milliman
- Kelly Kajumulo
- Kelly Davis
- David Bilides
- Jennifer Perevodchikov
- Jennifer Mackley
- Plus, two SPS students
Since announcing the task force in September, 8 people have applied to participate. Not wanting to delay any further, the district is moving forward with the task force’s meetings and review of the district’s policy and procedures to prevent and respond to instances of sexual harassment (including sexual assault).
At the same time, we are still seeking four more members, especially principals and teachers. If you are interested in participating in this important task force, please fill out the nomination form and send toSuperintendent@seattleschools.org. Please put “TASK FORCE” in the subject line.