We hastily formed a new Pinehurst K-8 BEX Levy Committee in response to the following in a letter sent to the entire School District on October 9, 2012 from Superintendent José Banda.
The Seattle School District (BEX IV Levy Team and School Board) has yet to talk with the Pinehurst K-8 community on next steps. We are aware that they have meet with Jane Addams K-8 and other schools over the last few months, including this week. We request the same courtesy and consideration to meet with them ASAP and collaborate on a solution for preserving the 40+ year history of the Pinehurst K-8 alternative school.
We are aware that time is of the essence since the Board will be voting on the BEX IV Levy soon.
"Jane Addams K-8: Move to Pinehurst K-8 and open Jane Addams building as a middle school by 2015. We will work with the Pinehurst community on next steps for the school."
Solutions proposed by our school community:
•Keep Pinehurst K-8 in our current building and foster enrollment growth without frequent threats of closure.
•Move other programs into the Pinehurst K-8 building to fill its 240 capacity. We currently have 147 K-8 and 34 developmental preschoolers for a total of 181 kids.
•Move into a smaller building in a different location to keep our school intact.
•Retain Pinehurst K-8 as an alternative program in a new Jane Addams K-8 building on our location.
•Convert into a neighborhood school to draw from the large number of kids in the Pinehurst community and relieve overcapacity at local assignment schools.
Why you should support Pinehurst K-8:
- Our Kindergarten enrollment has doubled in the last year despite frequent threats of closure.
- If we are dissolved we would burden our already overcrowded assignment schools with an additional 181 students.
- We have raised test scores and are recent winners of the Schools of Distinctions Award and the Washington Achievement Award.
- We meet the needs of parents seeking an alternative teaching model who might otherwise support charter schools.
- We emphasize physical activity and our kids ROCK at Rock Climbing and Ultimate Frisbee.
- We are the only neighborhood school that is walking distance from the Pinehurst community. I have lived in Pinehurst for 9 years and most kids are bused to assignment schools.
- This is the fourth attempt to close us in seven years and Board Members acknowledged that frequent threats to close Pinehurst K-8 has adversely affected enrollment.