If you wish to speak at Wednesday's Board meeting (where the Transition Plan for 2013-2014 will be introduced), sign up today beginning at 8 am, either email@example.com or 252-0040.
Tuesday, January 8th
Special Education Advocacy & Advisory Council Meeting from 6:30-9:00 p.m., JSCEE, second floor, room 2700.
The open forum part of the meeting is from 6:30-7:30 pm with a Working Group Session from 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 9th
Executive Committee Meeting - 8:30-10 am. Agenda
College Goal Sunday from 3-7 p.m. at Cleveland High School, to help students and families get information on applying for financial aid for college and helping them complete the FAFSA form.
Additional information about College Goal Sunday can be found at www.collegegoalsundaywa.org or by emailing Krista Rillo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Board Meeting starting at 4:15 pm at JSCEE. Agenda
- Annual disclosure of financial/conflict of interest for Board and Executive Administrators (nothing to report here).
- approval of a contract for software to track capital projects, nearly $1M. I hope they chose wisely.
- approval of the Road Map Project (SPS is part of the group of districts to receive money under RTTT per this project). A little late to be approving it.
- applying for a grant from OSPI for energy operational costs savings. Interestingly, this is for TT Minor, Horace Mann and possibly Meany Middle school buildings. Apparently there are BTA funds allocated to take care of issues at these buildings that the OSPI grant could cover. This would be great if the district got some grant money as they could use all the capital funds they can get to cover our buildings and their issues.
- intro of Transition Plan for next year:
The main changes recommended for the NSAP Transition Plan for 2013-14 are:
Simplification of tiebreakers
Additional of a distance tiebreaker for elementary and middle school attendance area
Changes to Spectrum middle school assignments
Implementation of a GeoZone for K-5 STEM at Boren
Designation of the Jane Addams building as an attendance area middle school, with a
feeder pattern comprised of the John Rogers, Olympic Hills and Sacajawea attendance
areas. The new attendance area middle school and the current Jane Addams K-8
environmental science option school will be temporarily co-located in the Jane Addams
Transfer of the Laurelhurst attendance area from the Hamilton feeder pattern to the
Eckstein feeder pattern
I hope you didn't miss that "simplification of tiebreakers" followed by adding a new one.
- new policy on "attendance area transfers" - this appears to simplify things but I think I need a second read on it.
Thursday, January 10th
Audit&Finance Committee meeting from 4-5:30 p.m. Agenda not yet available
Memorial for Dr. Goodloe-Johnson at Mount Zion Baptist Church at 4:30 p.m. (The announcement states that she "passed away after a long battle with cancer." This was never publicly acknowledged, before or right after her death, so this is new.)
College Goal Sunday from 6-8 p.m. at Franklin High School.
Enrolling for Kindergarten at Olympic Hills Elementary from 6-7:30 p.m.
to bring to enroll into Seattle Public Schools:
Director Peaslee Community Meeting from 6:30-8:00 pm at the Lake City Library.
Saturday, January 12th
Director Carr Community Meeting from 8:30-10 am at Bethany Community Church, 8023 Green Lake Dr North - Main Sancutary Bld, Classroom A
Director Martin-Morris Community Meeting from 9:30-11:30 am at Diva Espresso, 8013 Lake City Way NE
Director McLaren Community Meeting from 10:15am - 12:15 pm at Delridge Library, 5423 Delridge Way SW