From President Smith-Blum:
SCHOOL BOARD TO VOTE ON CAPACITY MANAGEMENT PLAN AT
JANUARY 31st SPECIAL MEETING
School Board is expected to vote on the Short Term Capacity Management
Plan during a special meeting at 5 p.m. on Thursday, January 31st at the
auditorium of the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence.
January 23rd, the Board decided to delay the vote by a week to review
2013-14 enrollment projections, which are expected the week of January
28th. District staff will review the options to address our growing
enrollment for next year with this additional data.
projected to grow by 7,000 students over the next 10 years. The
Capacity Management Plan addresses immediate capacity needs. If approved
by voters on Feb. 12, renewal of the Building Excellence IV (BEX IV)
Capital Levy would provide capital funding for long-term growth.
though public testimony was heard on the Short Term Capacity Management
Plan on January 9th and 23rd, ten public testimony slots, two minutes
each, will be available at the January 31st meeting.
wish to provide testimony at the Board meeting should follow the
standard sign-up procedure by calling 206-252-0040 or emailing the
School Board office at email@example.com starting at 8 a.m.
on Monday, January 28th. People should give their legal name, telephone
number and email address when requesting to speak. Since there is only
one item on the agenda, speakers must address capacity management.
updated information on the Short Term Capacity Management Plan will be
posted online Wednesday late afternoon at
More information on capacity
management is available here. Families can continue to voice their
opinions at firstname.lastname@example.org and
While I am glad for this delay, it certainly gives little time for assessing the new enrollment data. At last week's Board meeting there was considerable discussion over when parents and community could see these new numbers with enough time to make a general assessment. Late Wednesday is pretty late but if you can crunch numbers and find a flaw in either idea, then you may sway someone on the Board. I think hard, cold numbers could change minds in either direction.
(I am assuming that the 6th grade academy idea is out and it's either co-locate the new middle school with JA K-8 or steady state with planning for one more year.)
This is, of course, all in the belief that the Directors ARE willing to look at and consider new data BEFORE they make a decision for their own vote. I hope each of them are willing to do that because otherwise this will be an exercise in window-dressing for the public and extra work for staff.