This is an e-mail I sent to Al Interim Director, Steven Martin. I cc'd the Board, Shauna Heath and Michael Tolley.
Dear Mr. Martin,
As a former member of the Advanced Learning
Taskforce - who served for a year and was asked to stay on for the next
year (which never materialized and with no explanation) - you can
imagine my surprise to learn there are TWO AL Taskforces already in
place. I am very disappointed to not even be asked to serve when my
knowledge of the subject and the programs in this district is quite
My questions to you are the following:
- how were members chosen?
- are the committees now full? If not, how may one apply?
- why was there no public process or even notice?
- who are the members and what is their connection to AL?
- how many meetings have there been?
- where are the minutes of the meetings available?
- when are the meetings for both taskforces? Where is that info available to the public?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, please feel free to pass this on to whoever DOES know.
note that you are not responsible for how these taskforces get formed.
That responsibility is with the Superintendent and upper staff .
Forming groups secretly that formerly were open to public application
would almost look like someone was shaping the taskforce to get a
pre-ordained outcome. Some might see it that way.