Thursday, October 24, 2013

Parent Trigger? Not So Much



Tonight Jeb's foundation and Michelle Rhee's StudentsFirst group hosted a showing of the pro-parent trigger propaganda movie "We the Parents" in Jacksonville. Apparently, these are the Florida parents who support parent trigger:
FLORIDA

from Susan Smith

Last Night Jeb Bush's foundation and Michelle Rhee's StudentsFirst group hosted a showing of the pro-parent trigger propaganda movie "We the Parents" in Jacksonville. Apparently, these are the Florida parents who support parent trigger.


From Fund Education Now!, the story of the parent
trigger law in Florida in 2012:

We are here today to go on record: Not one legitimate Florida Parent Group has asked for this Parent Trigger/Parent Empowerment legislation. We do not support this corporate empowerment bill that uses a parent's love to "pull the trigger" and pass all that they hold dear into the hands of a for-profit corporation eager to peel off a chunk of every child's per pupil funding dollars for themselves. We will not be silent while our legislators use our money to fund three separate, unequal and unfair systems of education. We do not support laws that benefit 10% of the schools while the other 90% suffer.

This is real. This has gone too far. Florida Public Education is a process not a product. This asset was created for and funded by the people of this state. It belongs to us. We oppose the Parent Empowerment Act and its bad-faith intentions to privatize our public schools.

And indeed, in Washington State not one legitimate parent group asked for the conversion charter - the ultimate trigger law in the country - and yet here we are.  I believe that even if 1240 does not get overturned, the court will throw out the conversion portion. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame anyone who can't see this stuff coming, because people are busy and don't always have time. But it's plain as day who and what are behind the Charter movement, how supposed "non-profits" are incredibly profitable to those who own them and run them, and how things like "parent triggers" subvert democracy. Whip people into a frenzy, declare the situation a crisis, then make hollow promises to vulnerable people, and swoop(!), their hope and trust diverts their tax dollars toward deepening the pockets of millionaires and billionaires while struggling kids get "counseled out" of charters, disappearing into the ether, and scrubbed off the books of operators to hide the truth about their failures and low graduation rates. Many top charter chains to this day continue to boot out over 50% of their students who can't cut it, but dishonestly claim improved graduation rates.

Fraud. Plain and simple. Sadly, people fall for it, over and over.

WSDWG

NW mom said...

Yep, WSDWG, I'm right there with you. It's the shock doctrine, disaster capitalism, brave new world of profiteering off children.

I do love how it seems there were only 3 people in this audience, however.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.