Roosevelt's Principal Leaves for West Seattle HS

From Brian Vance, Roosevelt High principal:
Dear Roosevelt High School Community,

It is with mixed emotions that I am writing to inform you that I will be leaving my role as principal at Roosevelt High School at the end of this school year. I will be transitioning into my new position as the principal of West Seattle High School.

After 10 amazing years and careful consideration, I decided it is the right time for me to take on new challenges and to expand my experience at another Seattle Public High School. This was not an easy decision for me. However, it is made easier knowing that that Roosevelt is in an excellent position to continue our work in closing gaps, building positive school climate and addressing students’ social emotional needs. We have a great staff, supportive families, and the most brilliant, caring, and committed students.

As we wrap up the year, I am hopeful that you continue on the path we have built together. I am truly blessed to have worked at RHS and to contribute to our continued journey towards excellence. Roosevelt will always be part of me and I look forward to following your continued growth and success.

District Leadership are finalizing next steps for filling the principal position at Roosevelt High School and will soon communicate that with the Roosevelt community.

Again, thank you for giving me an opportunity to be part of the community and thank you all for your continued commitment and dedication to our school, staff, and students.

Go RoughRiders,

Brian Vance, Principal
A bittersweet message for me; Brian and I worked together when I was co-president at RHS. He is fine principal and a decent and thoughtful human being. West Seattle HS is lucky to have him.

As for who replaces him, well, the district should have a hiring committee (or have an interim which is what I would have thought they would have done for Lincoln).

As the discussion on the thread about the appointment of Ruth Medsker as principal at Lincoln indicates, some parents are not happy there was/will be no hiring committee. I'm actually wondering how SEA feels. Most high school teaching corps like to have input on their leader as do parents and students.

I know it is late in the year but I would hope there would be a hiring committee for Roosevelt but we'll see.

The district is likely to make an announcement of Vance's departure on their own; perhaps there will be more information to glean from that.

Comments

Carol Simmons said…
Has there been a hiring committee formed for the Licton Springs Principal position yet? It is so important that the committee include members committed to Native Education.
Anonymous said…
That's bad news for Roosevelt and more INSTABILITY for the incoming freshmen class who are TAKING IT ON THE CHIN in their 4 year Seattle high school careers. Frustrations:

Waiting lists that DON'T MOVE at the high school level. There was supposed to be CHOICE.

Caps on enrollment and lottery caps at Ingraham HCC IB are NOT transparent

Students due to be YANKED out of their high schools junior year

NO NEWS on HCC services and placement changes in high school. Cmon. We all know something's planned.

NO NEWS at Sealth, Rainier, Ingraham on how IB will be funded long term

NO IDEA WHATSOEVER on how 24 credit mandate will hit our kids. NO PLANNING that I can see for staffing or curriculum changes to handle demand for remedial and accelerated academics in every high school.

DISGUSTING.

North of 85th

North of 85th and that's why I called for a High School Czar. Not a new position but someone in SPS who is looking at all this and more for high school with the big picture in mind.
Anonymous said…
What the bleep are the Executive Directors doing, if not working on the issues above?

delegate
Delegate, apparently just evaluating principals. Desptie what the website says about parents going to EDs for help, it does not seem to be their (well-paid) job..
NESeattleMom said…
Beware going to an ED for help with a principal's territory. It can backfire. Better to lie low and cross your fingers, in my experience.
Anonymous said…
delegate: what are EDs doing?

You mean besides collecting their hefty government paychecks? And Chamber of Commerce luncheons? I don't know. How about an ED/parents week. Follow your ED around and see what they are actually doing?

-McClureWatcher

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Open Thread

Why the Majority of the Board Needs to be Filled with New Faces

Who Is A. J. Crabill (and why should you care)?