Update: here's the schedule for the district boundary meetings - there are only three and they are all less than a hour.
Thornton Creek K-5 lunchroom
Tues., Oct. 1, 2015, 6:30 - 7:15 p.m.
7711 43rd Ave NE
Interpreters: Chinese and Spanish
Schmitz Park Elementary lunchroom
Mon., Oct. 5, 2015, 6:30 - 7:15 p.m.
5000 SW Spokane Street
Interpreters: Spanish, Somali and Vietnamese
Seattle World School
Meany Building lunchroom
Tues., Oct. 6, 2015, 6:30 - 7:15 p.m.
301 21st Ave E
Interpreters: Chinese, Spanish, Somali and Vietnamese
Also, a link to the map of the look of SPS in 2020 - wow is the word that comes to mind for those high school assignments. It says it was approved in Nov 2013 and last updated 9/14/2015. If you are in PTA, I would go to my PTA/PTO leaders and ask that this be a topic of discussion.
My thoughts (just on first glance)
- you see that with this map, all high schools are fed by just one middle school (a couple of areas have a middle school and K-8). Meany has two K-8s and a middle school.
- Roosevelt is getting the exact schools I would have thought it would but they don't even extend the boundary to the freeway. Just ridiculous.
- they have Ballard right on its boundary line; also ridiculous. And having far north Green Lake feed into it? That's going to be fun to get to school. I'd like to know the easy bus route for that one.
- I'm unclear as to where people in Magnolia and Queen Anne go to high school.
- the area for Meany/Franklin is rather large but they put Garfield right on the boundary edge so it's unclear to me how that works.
Despite this being approved in 2013, I have no recollection of any map looking like this.
end of update
On past decisions on boundaries:
Proposed adjustments to approved future growth boundaries for Mercer, Washington and Meany middle schools Sept. 25, 2015 — This fall, the school board will vote on a change to
the boundary changes previously approved for middle schools in the
Southeast region. Previously approved boundaries moved the Kimball
Elementary attendance area into the Washington Middle School attendance
area and the John Muir attendance area into the Meany Middle School
Community members requested that Kimball students continue be assigned
to Mercer for middle school and these proposed changes are being made in
response to that feedback.
Also, there are these maps showing boundaries changes in the coming years for all areas of the city, either due to growth or new buildings. I think it important to look at these especially if you have elementary or middle school students.
The proposed change retains the Kimball Elementary attendance area
within the Mercer International Middle School attendance area and
retains the John Muir Elementary attendance area within the Washington
Middle School attendance area. As this is a change from the boundary
adjustments approved by the School Board in 2013, a vote to amend the
future growth boundaries must be taken.
Now here's the latest SPS document which is oddly dated as October 21, 2015.
I also am having a hard time comparing it with the Student Assignment plan to see exactly what has changed. Anybody? I also note that the district repeatedly mentions a "Waitlist period" and then doesn't say the length of the period or when it occurs.