On April 6th at Broadview-Thomson K-8 during school breakfast, a 7-year old girl was threatened by a parent (not her own) who said she would cut the girl's tongue out and showed her a boxcutter. It is unclear why the parent did this but the little girl was frightened and went to a staff member.
The staff member alerted the office and the school staff searched the school to try to find the person in case it was an ongoing issue. They did not find the person.
The school says that they notified the child's mother right away. The mother is claiming she was not told until the afternoon.
At some point, the staff did figure out who threatened the child. When she was questioned, the woman, the mother of a classmate of the victim, claimed she was "just kidding" and had the boxcutter in her coat because she had just come from work where she uses one.
The parent of the child had a previously scheduled meeting with the principal the next day and, of course, they discussed the incident. According to the district, the meeting went well and the principal told the mother that the other parent now had a no-trespass order for a year. The principal seemed to think the mother was satisfied when she left his office.
But the mother IS unhappy and has a Facebook page where she says:
- she was not notified in a timely manner
- that she, not the district, filed a police report (I checked and the only police report that can be found was filed by the mother the next day. The district told me they called police but there is no report on file.)
- the mother says her daughter has not been at school since the 8th
- the mother wants the principal fired and has a petition asking for that
- the mother released a press release on this on Monday (which I never saw)
I reached out to the mother at Facebook this morning but have not heard back from her.
The district says they understood that the mother wanted an apology but, of course, neither the police nor the district can compel the other woman to do so. It is unclear to me if the mother is seeking an apology from the school.
Apparently, KIRO tv had a short story on this.
The mother is planning a protest on Monday at 8:30 am at the school.