- As for the Focus Group Committee recommendation issue, several readers pointed out that on April 19th there was a press release that had said the same thing.
Do I think this was all an error? Not sure. I think since the committee's own non-disclosure form said there would be no recommendation, it is an odd mistake. (They had to sign it before the April 19th press release.) It could have been someone laying early groundwork to say there was a recommendation in case cover was needed for a superintendent choice, either during Board deliberations and/or when there was a public announcement.
- The Times will be revealing their pick in Sunday's Times. You have three guesses.
- Budget update from Dr. Enfield. Highlights:
- Cathy Thompson is leaving as head of Curriculum and Instruction for a position at UW. Her last day will be May 24th. Wendy London will replace Thompson on an interim basis.
- Noel Treat will be leaving as deputy superintendent at the district deputy city manager for Mercer Island. His last day will be May 21st.
- Bob Boesche will serve an Interim Deputy Superintendent through the summer bridging the gap between when Dr. Enfield leaves (sometime in late June) and the start of our new superintendent's term in early August.
- No independent verification but it seems that Tom Bishop in Transportation may also be on his way out.
However, it leaves a lot of gaps including the lack of a hire to fill the Special Education director position.
I worry a bit that whoever comes in may chose to bring his/her own people and that didn't work out well under Dr. Goodloe-Johnson.
This strengthens the hand of some of the long-term senior leadership and that is not an altogether great thing.
I know the Board was working on the superintendent appointment late yesterday afternoon and may be working through the weekend. My thought was they have have decided last night, made the job offer and gave the person the weekend for an answer. Then, if the person says yes, then they make an announcement early next week, possibly at the Board meeting on Wednesday.